Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Jeff Henderson, Hot sails maui owner and sail designer said to me to go as small as possible. There is no reason to go big if windsupping in waves.

I did a fair bit of it a few years ago, but tended to use it to learn new sail flicky moves, so would start with a 5m, then 5.5m then 6.5m until I could do the move with the biggest sail.....then go out the next time and learn another.

Looks like the 5.3 will be the first port of call then. Silicon Beach, as for how crowded it is... I seldom get to sail with anyone, as in this neck of the woods I seem to be one of the only windsurfers!!! :-)

Pthanks for the advice guys. Today has swell, but no wind again, and waist high swell again. It's a tough life...
    Waiting for summer....

I weigh 85 kg .Our wind range is typically 12-15knts and on my Bic Windsup even an 8.0 is kind of sluggish ( and I am talking subplaning!).

How can people sail with a 5.6 in these winds?! What about moving to a 9 or 9.5 m2?
    I was hoping that a larger sail would speed up the board, helping it to reach its maximum hull ( subplaning )speed , from which I think I am rather far. This would already be a great accomplishment and make my cruising more enjoyable even if I can't get planing

Any comments?

Thanks

Ittiandro.
    Last edited by Ittiandro; 1st January 2018 at 01:22 AM.

Ittiandro ... if you read through this thread (from 2013) you'll see that it is about using a SUP to catch waves (or possibly practise some freestyle) NOT about trying to go fast ... and for waveriding you want to be using the SMALLEST sail that allows you to get into position to catch a wave ... and then you FORGET about the rig and just surf the wave, using wave power. So an 8m sail would be WAY TOO BIG for that ... 5m - to 5.5m is about right.

It sounds to me like you should be using an entirely different board if you want to go fast (planing) with a >8m sail in
    12-15knts ... something like a big freeride / freerace board would work much better than a WindSUP.

Resuscitating this thread has reminded me that I did plan to get a SUP and use it with an old 5.3 in the waves we get in the north bay ... must try this in 2018 - some of the light wind / south swell days the waves about 100m from my house are beautiful :-)
    Last edited by Silicon Beach; 1st January 2018 at 10:50 AM.
    -----------------------------
    Currently writing the World's first Windsurfing Novel: 'Too Close to the Wind' - watch this space!
    ps check out my musings from El Medano: Life on the Reef
    -----------------------------
    Boards: Quatro Supermini Thrusters: 94 & 85
    Sails: Severne Blades.

Quote Originally Posted by Silicon Beach View Post
    Ittiandro ... if you read through this thread (from 2013) you'll see that it is about using a SUP to catch waves (or possibly practise some freestyle) NOT about trying to go fast ... and for waveriding you want to be using the SMALLEST sail that allows you to get into position to catch a wave ... and then you FORGET about the rig and just surf the wave, using wave power. So an 8m sail would be WAY TOO BIG for that ... 5m - to 5.5m is about right.

It sounds to me like you should be using an entirely different board if you want to go fast (planing) with a >8m sail in
    12-15knts ... something like a big freeride / freerace board would work much better than a WindSUP.

Resuscitating this thread has reminded me that I did plan to get a SUP and use it with an old 5.3 in the waves we get in the north bay ... must try this in 2018 - some of the light wind / south swell days the waves about 100m from my house are beautiful :-)
    Thanks for your reply

I am a " compromise" sailor , not a " plane or die"(!) sailor. About 50% of the time winds are about 10-12 knts, 40% are borderline ( about 15 knts) and only rarely ( about 10%) in the upper teens for full planing.
    This means that I'm subplaning most of the time. I'd love to plane , of course, but in these conditions, it is not my 1st priority. By rigging a larger sail I was not thinking to go as fast as possible in order to plane, but to subplane FASTER ( relatively speaking) on my windsup, in other words to maximize its subplaning peprformance.
    In this regard, my Windsup has already been a huge improvement compared to previous shortboards I had.
    I know that a board has a maximum hull subplaning speed depending on its design. Maybe a larger sail could help to approach my windsup maximum hull speed in these winds. Can I hope this?

Thanks again and Happy New Year form our frozen land

Ittiandro
    Last edited by Ittiandro; 1st January 2018 at 04:15 PM.

Oooh, another old thread back from the dead.

Biggest sail I put on my SUP is a 5.3 but I prefer a 4.7.

If you 'need' a bigger sail than a 5.7 then you're probably on the wrong type of board in the first place.

Or if the wind is really light then I use the paddle.

But there are no 'laws' about this. I just do what feels like fun – with good reward for the least effort.
    Last edited by basher; 1st January 2018 at 04:17 PM.
    Now back in the UK.