Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Vulcan Progress Log

Hi guys,

Thought I'd get your tips on vulcans and use this thread as a way to track my progress. So far I've conquered these stages of my vulcan journey

• Buy freestyle board
    • Learn to sail freestyle board without spinning out all the time (big inboard straps and small fin, 20cm)
    • Learn to pop (a lot of improvement still needed here but I can clear the fin fairly consistently)
    • Pop and get around to 90 degrees.

So at the moment I can pop the board and I seem to get around to about 90 degrees then the fin/rail catches and a big splash follows (which I've read is a common part of the learning curve). I'm actually pretty pleased with getting this far after only a couple of attempts.

You'll notice on the video that in the first clip I somehow forgot to let go of the boom! The second attempts is about as good as it gets at the moment, pop, turn 90-100 degrees, splash. I was a bit underpowered and the water was very shallow which wasn't helping my confidence!

It feels like at the moment I have 2 issues:

1. Not enough height on pop

2 . Not enough rotation. How can I get more of a whip and get that extra 20 or 30 degrees I need to get round and start sliding?

Video here (thanks to phil from getwindsurfing.com for filming):

https://vimeo.com/64671179

Pop height is fine, especially on that flat water you have there. Lower is easier to control

To help the rotation:

1. Sheet in hard as you pop ( you are getting the nose down already which is good), then release the old back hand.

2. Almost immediately after that with your old front hand throw the sail back the way you came. The mast angle with the water needs to be a lot less than 90 pointing back towards where you've just sailed from, if that makes any sense. This throwing the mast encourages the board to turn - you've already got enough turn from the pop.

This is me doing a spock (that I end up messing up) but you can see how far I've pushed the mast back from the way I've come
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	timspock2.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	7896

Final point is weight forward. I can't overstate this enough. I personally think this is why learning the vulcan is so difficult. You need to get into such an unnatural forward position that feels all wrong. Just have a go at sailing along and see how far you can get your weight forward without grinding to a complete halt (you will start to slow down). This is the position you need to initiate it from. It will feel horrible and unpowerful.

Your pop height is fine. For getting more rotation go for a much more aggressive head throw. I think if you watch both of your clips then in the second one your head throw is more recognisable and you rotate more.

Before you pop try moving your back hand further back. You wouldn't gybe with your hand in that position - as you can't hold the power - so it's the same with the vulcan, you're losing power and speed. This will help massively with the staying sheeted in / sheeting in as you pop.

I know you can't always be sailing in the perfect conditions, but if you can try them when you are more powered up. Yes it's much scarier to pop with lots of power and speed, but you'll get a lot more pop for much less effort.

Practise your hand and foot change on land. It'll build up your muscle memory and help you to start throwing the rig as soon as you pop.

Thanks for the tips, so next attempts I will try more aggressive head throw, back hand further back, sheet in harder on takeoff, get weight further forward and throw mast back to where I came from (a lot to think about!). Will let you know how I get on and hopefully try to film a few.
    Last edited by Vulcant; 24th April 2013 at 12:03 PM.

Hi Vulcant
    I was sailing at Hayling when Phil was videoing you and also trying Vulcans. I've sailed away from a few now. One of the best was on that day, I think Phil may have even got it on camera (blue/yellow Naish sail, starboard flare)? The thing that got me round was just going for it with total commitment and looking back early. That got me sliding backward on most attempts before i got used to throwing the rig back as well. As the other have said don't go for any more height. I've screwed my ankle from going to high and over rotating. Let me know when your heading to Hayling, might be able to help each other out.

Hey, yeh I think I saw you land one! Yeh that would be cool, will drop you a message if i'm heading down there, would be great to get some tips on the water. I live in Southsea so am usually at Esso when it's windy and the tide is right (work permitting).

Not sure i can help out with tips but i can definitely shout at you if that helps!. I live in Southsea too, sometimes sail there if time is pushed and tides not good at Esso. Its good for quick sessions between work and sundown. The chop isn't great for learning vulcans though, comes at you from every direction.