Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Cheers Tim these all seem like good tips. On tip number 3 do you mean get forward before I pop? Because that would put my weight over my front foot which would make popping difficult?

Here's a pic of my attempt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	8674  

When sailing a freestyle board your weight is over the front foot anyway. It does make popping a little trickier, but you don't need as much height as you're getting.

It does feel weird and unpowerful, which I think is why it is so hard to learn, as you'd never think it would work like that!

Maybe some people manage to throw their weight forward as they are popping, but I can never get this to work so have to come forward half a second beforehand.

Quote Originally Posted by tim319 View Post
    1. No need to jump as high as you do. I always find them a lot harder to land if I end up too high.

2. The old back hand needs to sheet in hard as you pop, then immediately go to the boom to do the hand change. This encourages the weight to stay over the board. At the moment your hand ends up way out over the side of the board.
    I agree with Tim and would concentrate on the hand change. The front hand pulls the mast back and the back hand should grab the mast or boom at 90 degrees. From the pictures it seems that you're not pulling with the front hand. If you would the sail would turn 90 degrees and all would line up at 90 degrees. The clew of the sail is in the same line as the board (see the movie link below). That only happens if you do move your hands quickly. I think your back hand is already close to grabbing the mast and your body position seems good. See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOK-S94eGmo (0:44). I think that shows how fast the hand change should be. Even though it is a spock in the movie the same applies to the vulcan as well.

The landing is also harder when you pop that high. So go easier on the back foot. Your very close to landing a vulcan so keep at it!

You are popping too much, you shouldnt do a chop hop when you vulcan. Keep the nose low and in the water by having your weight over the board and pop the fins out to pivot around the nose. Another thing you can do to compliment the over the board movement is to keep the mast position in the same place in the spin and towards the nose in the exit. Even if you did have your weight over the board in the photo you would have been brought down by the momentum of the rig.

When you are doing the vulcan a good way to learn the motion of getting over the board is to not think that you are doing a 180, but to try to keep your centre of mass in the same position throughout the entire move instead of initiating the spin by throwing your body in a arc around the mast. The attempt in the photo was pretty close though, I think if you focused on keeping the mast towards the way you came and not moving with your rotation you would have landed it

Sliding now finally! Hand change non existent though, https://vimeo.com/89860746

About a year since trying my first attempt and I reckon about 100 attempts total, I gotta land one soon!
    Last edited by Vulcant; 8th April 2014 at 07:20 PM.

Love the end of the video!
    getting closer buddy....hurry up and land one!
    Maybe this coming weekend should be good!