Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9
    40 48'N 14 26'E -Western Med - West South Atlantic
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulcant View Post
    I think a few hundred attempts probably but I was stupid by not changing things and kept making the same mistakes. It's important to figure out what you're doing wrong and try to change one thing at a time to see how it makes a difference. The main thing I found hard was getting the slide.

I think it's very important to keep your head right over the mast foot for the entire move, look backwards on takeoff and also make sure you bring your front hand across your body to help the rotation and hand change.
    thanks and congrats

hand change

My vulcans and spocks are being held back by poor hand change technique. see attached vids. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKZ9...ature=youtu.be these are the better efforts, not the norm.

I can't for the life of me seem to work out the key to changing them. Its doing my head in.

I have three possible theories.

one: I turn my head too early, which opens up my body and moves my back hand in the opposite direction it needs to go, and leads to it flailing around in mid air.

two: There is a subtle shift in my body weight towards my back hand before take off which puts me too far away from the centre of the rotation.

three: a combination of the above.

When I watch the videos of people who spock/vulcan really nicely, the mast is right in front of their nose and they have their hand on the other side of the boom by the time the board in 90 degrees round. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ2EuEheZmQ (see this sam ross video at 21/22 seconds.) This seems a million miles away to me.

Any hints, tips, suggestion very welcome.

Hey James,

I know exactly what you mean. Even though I'm regularly sailing away from Vulcans now when you watch others do it it seems so much more effortless and yes the hand change is done before the tail hits the water. I have exactly the same problem as you and I think it's preventing me from getting spocks.

One thing maybe to try is to watch your front hand the entire time. So don't even look at the water in front of you just focus on that hand. Also I see a lot of people (even pros) going to the mast with their original back hand first before moving it up to the boom. This definitely makes it a less awkward position I think. Let me know if you solve it!

As you pop, move the back hand straight over the top of the front hand. Don't let it flay out behind you as this also moves your bodyweight away from the centre of the board.

I think it comes from early on in the learning process where you try to rotate your body to get the rotation. This lead to using the arm to turn you. I did the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by tim319 View Post

This lead to using the arm to turn you. I did the same thing.
    but how did you solve it, thats the million dollar question?

Any idea where you look or what your head does, when you initiate the move?

Quote Originally Posted by jamesalfa View Post
    but how did you solve it, thats the million dollar question?

Any idea where you look or what your head does, when you initiate the move?
    Hi James

Can I suggest spotting the hand change as Vulcant suggested. Focus on pulling the front hand towards the back hand after take off keeping your arms extended.

It also sounds like you could benefit from some visualisation and muscle memory exercises..... Try tacking. Go either boom to boom or Back hand to the mast. keep repeating and visualise the hand change as the same as a vulcan each time you do.

Hope this helps