Freestyle stars at Cost Teguise

After three days of no wind it came back today, still a bit light but us pie eaters were out with 7.0's on freewaves, the slalom boys were ridiculous as normal and the freestyle guys turned up!

We had Tonki and Sarah back from Podersdorf, One other PWA guy I didn't recognise, two red Bull youngsters on a Fanatic photoshoot, ex world tour regular Anxton and future Fanatic star 12 years old Noah Voecker .

It would be good if I could identify what the hell they were doing however it ended up a load of us just sitting in the water watching the show. It is incredible what these bendy youngsters can do!

It is an education to be here watching this and some people still tell me that Costa Teguise is rubbish. They need to get out here and see what its like nowadays!

Windy tomorrow, at 110kg I am expecting to be out on 5.3 and the temperatures are due to be in the 28's. Costa is naff eh? If you still think that we are very happy that you stay away.

Hi Richard ... from another Richard just across water. We had a couple of freestyle stars here training over the winter - Phil "SaltySack" and the bloke who produces Tricktionary. Both were amazing to watch and sail with. Phil was storing his kit in our garage and is a good bloke to hang out with. Interestingly he actually prefers bumpy water over dead flat because he likes the way it makes the moves more tricky. Whenever we talked about sailing waves he was ridiculously modest saying stuff like "my turns suck" etc and then of course he was easily holding his own with the locals at Cabezo.

Anyway, enjoy the wind today ... if you're on a 5.3 you must be getting a bit more on Lanzagrotty than here - currently only reading about 12 - 15 knots, but it's still early (10:20 am). I'm hoping to be on my 5.2m, but I weigh a few kilos less (still enjoy an occasional pie though ).

Re Costa Teguise ... used to go there & to Tarifa quite a bit in the 90's but then discovered el Medano - along with a lot of other people ... and there's the rub ... it's now quite crowded on the water and in the town the whole year round, so I can quite understand your comments. We have a lot of kiters (at least 50%) - how about Teguise ? I imagine that it's not a beach that you can launch a kite from easily ?
    -----------------------------
    Currently writing the World's first Windsurfing Novel: 'Too Close to the Wind' - watch this space!
    ps check out my musings from El Medano: Life on the Reef
    -----------------------------
    Boards: Quatro Supermini Thrusters: 94 & 85
    Sails: Severne Blades.

Hi, Kites are actually banned in the bay so they sail out of Charcos (500m north) with the local Slalom boys, they tend to keep separate as a matter of choice to be honest and there ain't that many. The main wave as you know is between the two bays and breaking sideshore over the reef. The locals are out with 5.7's at the moment but it normally doesn't click in until about 2:00 anyway.

Looking forward to be amazed by the freestylers this afternoon! It's a young mans game, I don't think I could bend like that.

Update

Mucho viento on Saturday so survival mode for a lot of them, Sunday however was perfect conditions for the freestylers plenty of chop and some waves on the point.

Forgive me for not understanding the finer points of freestyle but apparently they don't prefer flat water anymore. Tonky and two Estonians plus Alice and Artur, two new Red Bull / Fanatic riders and all the locals were out.

The word on the street so to speak is "double air flakas". If I understand it right that means a double airborne upwind 360.

Word on the 2014 Skate TE is that it will be even shorter, probably taking out of the world of "normals". This is getting a bit like the DSB thing in the '90s where Slalom boards were no longer sailable except by the elite.

Looks like light wind today and then high force 4's for the rest of the week.

Apparently several more world tour freestylers are coming to train in June.

All well from Paradise.