Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Freestyle board size

Hello, I am just looking for a bit of advice. I am starting to learn freestyle, I have been to dahab before and learnt to Vulcan but have not really done any in the uk. What size board would you recommend for me? I am 75kg and will be using sails 5.7 5.0 and 4.5. I was thinking about a 100l board or a 90l board. Also what board would you recommend? I have looked at a few reviews and the rrd twintip and the tabou freestyle seems to be good, I will be looking for a second hand board. Thanks

you need something between 98-104 (max) lits, a 90 lits board will not match a 5.7 so good
    have a look at the F2 rodeo 98 lits or 102lits, but I don't know if you can find it 2nd hand, try to buy a light one because as you may have noticed weight is very important in FS
    what kind of board did you use in Dahab?

I used a tabou freestyle both the 90 and 100, I preferred the 90 but it was constant wind. Thanks I will have a look in to the f2. I have been on a flare 99 and didn't enjoy it.

If you preferred the 90 then I think you are always better off going for the board size you prefer. Why did you prefer it?

The main reason for going for the 100l would be that it's a bit more forgiving learning new moves, but it you are going to sail a lot on the 4.5 and 5.0 on choppy water then the 90 will handle the chop better. If you're somewhere it's flat then you may as well go with the hundred to begin with until you can land spocks, flakas, grubbys etc.

I've sailed the TwinTip and hated it. To be fair I only sailed the 100l which is too big for me, but I still found it needed a lot more effort to pop, so I found I concentrated more on popping which is usually second nature than throwing the rig in the right place etc. As Paul says the Rodeo is a really good board, but probably going to be pretty rare to find second hand. Fanatic Skate, JP Freestyle, Mistral Joker (09), and Tabou like you say are all great boards and more likely to be on the second hand market.

If you decide on the 90l then I'm going to shamelessly pimp my 2011 Skate, it's got a few knocks here and there but still a great board - and you are likely going to put a few bumps on a freestyle board anyway.

I'd say 5.7 is a bit big for a 90litre freestyle, but fine on a 100 litre.

I've own a 100 Jp freestyle, and also tried Fanatic Skates, and they are both nice boards.

Where I normally sail i am normally on my 5.7 so by the sounds of it I might be better looking for a 100l. Thanks for your advice it sounds like that most of the freestyle boards on the market are good.so I am on the look out for a 100 l board now!

Quote Originally Posted by Yatesy View Post
    If you preferred the 90 then I think you are always better off going for the board size you prefer. Why did you prefer it?

The main reason for going for the 100l would be that it's a bit more forgiving learning new moves, but it you are going to sail a lot on the 4.5 and 5.0 on choppy water then the 90 will handle the chop better. If you're somewhere it's flat then you may as well go with the hundred to begin with until you can land spocks, flakas, grubbys etc.

I've sailed the TwinTip and hated it. To be fair I only sailed the 100l which is too big for me, but I still found it needed a lot more effort to pop, so I found I concentrated more on popping which is usually second nature than throwing the rig in the right place etc. As Paul says the Rodeo is a really good board, but probably going to be pretty rare to find second hand. Fanatic Skate, JP Freestyle, Mistral Joker (09), and Tabou like you say are all great boards and more likely to be on the second hand market.

If you decide on the 90l then I'm going to shamelessly pimp my 2011 Skate, it's got a few knocks here and there but still a great board - and you are likely going to put a few bumps on a freestyle board anyway.
    What would you say are the advantages and disadvantages of having a 90 l board? Would the disadvantages be slower to get on the plane and harder to learn moves? When I sailed a 90 before I thought it was a lot easier to rotate for vulcans.