Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    You are sat right in the middle of needing either a 90 or 100l board, as the usual rule is to have 20l extra on top of your body weight. The 90 will give you more control in stronger and choppier water due to the reduced width, and to be honest it's still easily going to carry a 5.7 as boards are now shorter and wider. So a 90l board is usually 60-62cm wide, which is plenty, might just need a bigger fin if it's marginal. Easier to pop because you don't need to exert as much downward force to be able to pop.

It is going to be slower to plane, but there's not going to be whole bunch in it I don't think as small freestyle boards plane ridiculously easy - especially with good technique. It should be slightly harder to learn moves as the board will sink a tiny bit more - meaning it's less forgiving with tripping rails when learning spocks for example - if your body isn't quite in the right position.

I'm lighter than you - but when I was learning vulcans/spocks I was also recommended to learn on a 100l board - I then tried a 90l and found it much easier especially for rotating into spocks as the board spins faster.

As mentioned earlier you are sat right between the two board sizes - which makes it a bit awkward - but I think you're better off going with the board you'll feel most comfortable on, as the happier you are with the feeling of the board d the more likely you are to try and throw yourself into moves.

Yatesy will know more about this than I do but I'd add this:

Freestyle is about chucking a board through turns at speed and you are not just learning the moves but learning to keep the board moving at speed as well.
    The freestyle board is supposed to float over the water without sinking (which is what slows you down and prevents you completing the move).

So when learning moves, you do benefit from a bigger, floatier board. It not only gets going in lighter winds earlier and carries the bigger sail better it also keeps going better when you uck up.

For sure, a 90 litre board feels better underfoot and is fine when you already know what you are doing. But the 100 litre is way better for the early days.

Buy a cheap 100 litre board with a fast rockerline JP, Fanatic, the newer Starboard then expect to trash it.
    Two years down the line, you'll want the 90litres size.

I'd only start with a 90 litre board if I sailed somewhere it was always 4.5 or 4.7 weather.
    In the UK, the 100 litres size is a better all round bet. It may also mean you can use a smaller sail even when the wind is marginal. Most freestylers don't like going bigger than 5.2 rig size.
    Last edited by basher; 20th May 2013 at 10:18 PM.
    Now back in the UK.

Thank you for all the advice, I really appreciate it. I have seen a tabou twister and f2 rodeo for around 700 but as you say I should go for a cheaper board to learn on. I am leaning towards the 100l just as it will be more forgiving by the sound of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hempy665 View Post
    Thank you for all the advice, I really appreciate it. I have seen a tabou twister and f2 rodeo for around 700 but as you say I should go for a cheaper board to learn on. I am leaning towards the 100l just as it will be more forgiving by the sound of it.
    exactly, a 100+/- board will be much more forgiving than a 90 lit one, it will give also much better flotation until you learn how to pressure against the straps and keep the tail out of the water
    to go for the cheapest is not always the right decision
    you better post your choices and we can help you out with your best pick

Ok so it looks like 100l is the one to go for. My list is a 2013 tabou twister 100l and a 2013 f2 rodeo 98l. Do you think there are any board in particular I should be looking for?

look for a JP 98, 2011,

I am a little hesitant about the tabou twister 100l you have found because it is a little heavier
    I have not sailed it so I can't comment on anything else
    Last edited by paul2010; 23rd May 2013 at 06:00 AM.

I honestly don't think you can go wrong with any of the 2013 freestyle boards. The Tabou was redesigned by Tonky Frans this winter and is back to being single fin. Also just had a look at the weight of the Tabou and it's pretty standard weight at 6.3kg, same as my 2013 Skate 89 and that feels light, so I wouldn't be put off by it being a little heavier, as it may also be a bit more durable. 700 for a 2013 board sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

Like Paul I haven't sailed either of this years boards. Have sailed the 2012 Rodeo in the 90 and that was super easy to sail, and probably the easiest board to pop I've ever sailed. Don't like the graphics on it this year, so I'd opt for the Tabou out of those two ha! Yes I know I'm vain.