Thread: Grubby attempts

Grubby attempts

Here are my best grubby attempts from yesterday. Those are the ones I rotated the full 360 degrees (maybe 5 %) but had no control at any point . It seems from the videos that there are many different ways to initiate the move and where to look (mast base, back and down, middle of the boom, mast etc.). When trying spocks I'm over the board and reaching for the mast and that gets me sliding and over the board. In the grubby attempts I try to stay back (to resist the semi loop) and seem to kick the back foot underneath and sometimes I succeed but mostly I do the semi loop crash or if I think of sheeting out hard I sheet out too early and don't get the 180 degrees to get sliding. With the current way I'm trying the grubbies I seem to end up too far back on the board and it makes it hard to finish the move as it would for vulcans or spocks.

It seems also important to resist pulling the clew through the wind before sliding and gaining control. I've read all the grubby threads but it seems tricky still.

Any advice or thoughts?

How is your weight distributed over the board right before the pop?

I think you will make them the next session if you stay over your frontfot when you pop like in vulcans and spocks and just do the rest of the move just like you do in the last one in your video.

I try to carve with front foot but might be popping with too much weight on back foot. I'll give it a go, thanks! I'm not too concerned of making one. I'd like to have good technique from the start. It takes so much time to unlearn bad habits (vulcan / spock) but it seems I'm close to landing one and it would feel great of course! Hopefully this summer....

- looks like you have to get your weight more over the center of the board. It is easier if you really carve downwind. pop when the rig goes light in your hands.
    - at take off, You have to pull in with your backhand more agressively and at the same time push the front hand forwards and DOWN at the same time. Sometimes it even helps to pull the backhand into your armpit BEFORE popping the board
    - exagerate looking backwards and down. you tend to look at the sail not the back strap as you are supposed to.
    - Really kick the board around with your backfoot. This is different from what I do when doing spocks.
    In my experience the initiation is the most important part of the move. If the initiation is good I do not have to think much about sheeting etc.

Good luck

Thanks yolen! Getting the weight over the board seems to be the thing. I will practice...

Move your front hand back to your front harness line.

Put your backhand as far back as you can (on the clip). Then anticipate the end of the rotation with your head/body - already good with your backhand. Slight differences which make a huge difference! You literally need to rip the board of out the last bit of the rotation - difficult until you can understand where you are in the rotation, but looks like you are pretty much there. Next session done...definitely. Good Luck

I'm glad to say landed one last weekend. I can't really say why the one I made was different from the ones that I didn't but it really helped to sail a bit underpowered on totally flat water with 5.2 sail. Mostly my crashes are either that the fin catches after 180 degrees or that the sail is literally in my face pushing me on my back while sliding. I still do not feel I understand the move quite yet. I think the hardest part is getting the weight forward to enable the slide and not to get flattened by the sail. Thank you all for your helpful comments!