Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    at the risk of bringing down 'inappropriate usage' accusations, I can see where Arf is coming from with this...

On Friday I went out at a bumpy Hayling in the dying evening wind on the kit I had with me in the van I was driving (not my own) and resorted to a 100 litre RRD Twintip with 6.3 Ezzy wave sail and a slightly non-standard 23cm wave fin... very curious combo I'm sure, but I had a great time whizzing around out there, whilst others with bigger gear gave up the struggle. I even managed to make a fair few gybes on a board that I found tricky to sail at first... driving the nose under and spinning the tail out to start with.

Once I'd got to grips with it I found it fabulous fun, and it gave me my first real success at pumping onto the plane consistently... blooming thing just scoots off at the slightest suggestion and keeps on trucking through great big holes in the wind. Can't do any freestyle yet (still learning heli-tacks on the windSUP) but I can see the potential of these boards for fun in light winds of all kinds for us lighter folk.

If it works then do it.
    A 6.3 sounds better than a 7.5.

To me, it's just the issue of at what point you can pump a sail to get going and still have chuck about kit – and at what point a bigger sail gets you planing in a straight line and no more.
    This is more about fun than it's about 'innappropriate useage'.

There's a qualitative difference between sailing on a 6m or smaller sail compared to a 7m+ but there's not much difference in the planing threshold in terms of wind mph.

As you go up in sail area, you add rig weight so the gains in sail power can be negated by rig weight. A 5.5 rigs on a 4m mast, whereas a 6.3 needs a 430 mast, and then a 7.5 needs a 460 mast, plus the longer booms etc.
    I find that there are days when I can get going on my own (100litre) freestyle board on a 5.5 and days when I can't. On the days when I can't plane I don't think changing up to a 6.3 would actually help.
    That said, the threshold will vary from board to board.
    Now back in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by basher View Post
    I find that there are days when I can get going on my own (100litre) freestyle board on a 5.5 and days when I can't. On the days when I can't plane I don't think changing up to a 6.3 would actually help.
    That said, the threshold will vary from board to board.
    I'd agree that it affects the planing threshold less than you’d think. Big sails though help me plane through the lulls, so I spend more time on the plane with big sails when it's gusty. Also it's easier to stay upwind, so I'm more willing to try things that I'm not very good at, that are likely to involve a fall, a waterstart and a drift downwind.

Ok bigger sails are heavier, need more masts etc. but I know I sail more conservatively with less power, so given the choice I'd take that extra sail area.

Ah, I've just remembered I've got a NP Diablo 6.2 in the garage, that rigs on me wave boom and 430. Just can't remember how many times I've put my head through it when learning.
    * -Scourge of the Seven Seas-*

1. I've not used a 110litre FS board, but I'd imagine the issue would be popping it? Sail size wise, my biggest is a 5.9 North Duke which is both powerful and light. Although I prefer 4.7/5.3 the 5.9 is fine for slidey Vulcan/Spock/Grubby style moves. My first ever Spock was landed using a 5.9 so it can be done.

2. Moves to learn:

In sub planing winds -
    Helitack
    Upwind 360
    Flare gybe with both feet in straps, sailing out switch stance

In planing winds -

Upwind 360 in the straps

For aerial freestyle I think most start with the vulcan. It takes a lot of commitment and time to learn. Like most advanced moves in windsurfing it feels a lot different to how you imagine it should when you start learning it. You then move onto the Spock/Spock 540 and Grubby, and the Flaka as well.

Freestyle is pretty addictive once you start to get it. I love the feeling of sliding around and for me mirror flat water can be as good as a nice wave day. Makes conditions that some complain at/go kiting immense fun and you are actually working towards something new the whole time, rather than just blasting about getting bored. Even when the wind drops you can still work on new stuff, rather than pack up.

I use a 6.5 rotational sail on my 100L freestyle board for light wind, biggest kit days. The 6.5 will rig on a 430. Well it would if my 430 didn't have an extension well and truly jammed in the bottom of it making it only usable for my 5.8!
    I alsways imagined that a spock would actually be easier than a vulcan bacause you don't have to remember to let go? Is that true?

I agree with Basher on this. I used to have a 6.2m and 100l FS board for marginal conditions but I ended up getting rid of the 6.2 because its early planing advantage over the 5.4m was very marginal and it was too heavy and cumbersome to really learn anything freestylee with.

I can remember the day when the 6.2m become obsolete for me - I was sailing on the 5.4m well powered, when the wind dropped a bit. I really couldn't be bothered to change up so I stuck with the 5.4m even though I wasn't planing all the time. After a while I realized I was having more fun on-off planing with the 5.4m than I would have 100% planing with the 6.2m. This was because I had more chance of success/improvement doing moves in the planing bits with the 5.4m than I ever would have with the 6.2m. When you are learning a move, you only need to be planing for a few seconds to go for it! All the rest of the time is just the bits in between so who cares if you are planing or not? In fact I find on-off planing days quite conducive to learning moves as you have plenty of time to think through the move while your are not planing.

After that day, I realized the only conditions I'd prefer the 6.2m is if it was really marginal 6.2m weather. If I was even moderately powered I knew I could get going on the 5.4m and have more fun. I got rid of the 6.2m because I can really take or leave marginal 6.2m weather. In fact I'm quite happy to leave it!

I'm not saying this approach works for everyone, but if you are focused on maneuvers rather than blasting then I think it makes sense.

You will also get much better at early planing and getting upwind with low power. Both these things will help your wavesailing a lot.

I no longer have a FS board - mainly because the chop-fest beaches near me are so hard to learn FS on! - but I still only have 5.3m as my biggest sail. I was out at shoreham last week when pretty much everyone was using 6m+ sails. I was planing 100% of the time to start with, then 70% when the wind went patchy. I was having just as much fun as anyone with a lots of forward attempts and some old-school FS - that's what I like to do on marginal days and a 6.2m would just make it harder. If you like drag racing your mates or easy high speed blasting, then of course a bigger sail is better...