Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Arf, if you can remember this far back, I used to use the Skate 110 with a North Duke 6.9 down at Minster... to be honest, it planed early, but was just too big to be fun, blasting about was a bit of a laugh, but to be honest, at your weight, with a board that size, see if you can get hold of something like a North Duke 5.9, plenty of power, but you don't want to go any bigger!
    Waiting for summer....

re- the board size. I used a skate 110 a few years ago at dahab (I weighed just over 70kg at the time). I thought it'd be too big (it was solid 5m weather) but actually it was a great learning platform for both old and new school freestyle. It would definitely get more difficult as the chop increases, but if you can find fairly flat water then I think you will have a lot of fun.

cheers guys,

I completely get the smaller sail - more fun aspect, and that certainly what I'l mainly be doing - especially at minster where it's offshore and dead flat in a SW and I don't have the time to get to Camber.

The blasting scenario is just because after 4 or 5 weeks of no laning, I'd kill to just be able to plane about and gybe, I need a grooveriding fix once in a while!

I have just dug out and repaired the 6.2 diablo, and a 6.4 NP RAF Jet I had completely forgotten about - both light mono sails.

I'm sure they were buried in my garage because I decided the 6m ezzy was more powerful (I can rig it with belly whereas the other two rig flat), and I'm sure I long since decided that the 6m was the biggest I had fun using, and is pretty new and indestructable compared to those other two old 2002ish mono sails which tend to break when you look at them funny.

Oh well, nothing wrong with giving it a go and re-learning some lessons learned and forgotten I guess.

Re the spock - is that a vulcan where you get your hand way down the boom and pull the sail through the full 360 on one tack as opposed to flipping the rig? Been wanting to try those for ages.. same question as Steve - much harder than a vulcan or not?
    * -Scourge of the Seven Seas-*

Quote Originally Posted by Arf View Post
    Another question: I see it's rated up to 7.5 on sail size.
    If it has the holes for the blasting straps it can probably cope with a 7.5, it will be a different board, much like the hawk I would imagine. I have the 100 which they rate as a 7.0, but with the freestyle straps on a 100L I reckon 6.5 is the effective limit. I would guess the limit is a 7.0 on that board with freestyle straps.

I use my 100l with a 6.3, and 28cm freeride fin, for mowing the lawn in light winds... (when I don't have my slalom gear) Good for gybe practice, revert back to small sail/small fin when the winds a little stronger.
    Last edited by surferX; 3rd September 2013 at 11:19 AM.

The spock is a continuation of the vulcan into a "reverse downwind 180" with an upwind rig flip

This video is great because it shows the evolution of the vulcan. It also shows clearly that the further downwind you initiate the pop the easier it is!

Got an opinion? Great. Guess what, so's everyone else!

Ah cheers LB.. so it's actually a grubby that I was thinking of, not a spock.
    Was wondering if you were at NWF, would have come hunted you down and said hi.
    * -Scourge of the Seven Seas-*

Grubby is a downwind aerial 360. I was at NWF.
    Got an opinion? Great. Guess what, so's everyone else!