Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Backloop technique

Hi all,
    I posted this video in Arf's camber thread but don't want to hijack it.
    Can anybody who can do backloops please check out the video and tell me if i was fairly close and what i need to do differently.
    I reckon I need to really crank it round sooner and get myself closer to the boom?
    It was a last minute decision to go for it and I don't think i fully committed.

Thoughts please..

http://vimeo.com/74657592

1)Er get out of your harness you idle git and put more ollie into the lift off..
    2)Get both hands further forward, so the rig gets raked back further (and makes handling the rig whip round easier)
    3)Head twists right round over your shoulder to spot the landing.

Edit and make your mind up earlier, having watched it again, it's no good poncing about on those mini wavelets you gheyers sail on down at Camber, if you're going for it height and an early start to the sequence is your friend..
    Last edited by Fourfish; 17th September 2013 at 03:04 PM.
    Four fish are better than two.

You're right about making my mind up earlier, but I think the wave was the right choice and I had enough height. Did you get out at Hythe 4Fish?

In the early stages it's a tricky thing guaging the height, too high and you over rotate, not enough you bury the nose or clip the boom on the flip if you're not back upright again, no I didn't sail at Hythe, St Margarets at Cliffe, you must be confusing me with someone else..

steve,
    I don't land them yet nevertheless I can offer some tips if you wish.
    1) in take off you must jump into the wind, try to point the nose of the board as upwind as possible, in order to do this you must rake the rig back
    2) don't try to turn while going up, when you reach the apex just look back and down over your front shoulder
    3) keep your legs scissored all the time, in the video you try to turn the board by extending the back leg, this is wrong, it is not your legs that will turn the board around
    4) on your way down try to extend your front arm, bend the back and keep your body back.

in my opinion you are not close to land one because your technique is wrong.
    Last edited by paul2010; 17th September 2013 at 05:48 PM.

Four fish I definitely think you're someone else! Thanks Paul, I was taking off into the wind but I didn't rake the rig back as both you and 4fish advise. I'll try that next time

If I was someone else, you'd be getting conflicting advice from other quarters, not that I think even he could BS his way into this conversation, it helps if you can follow someone like Chris Calthrop and do it off the same wave. The action is like a tacking action whilst arching your back and where your head goes the body and kit follow, but you do need those hands forward or the rig will whip you off balance as you go through the wind and pick the biggest mother you can find with the deepest darkest 'hollow' on its face, then it's easy.