RDM for older sails

Hi,

Posted this question on Tushingham's website but radio silence. I've got Rocks in 4.0 and 4.5 around 5 years old and Storms in 5.0 and 5.75 a year or 2 older. Currently I use the recommended Tushingham SDM masts to rig them on but having used RDM masts on rented kit in the summer I found them to be so much better for transitions like tacks where I go to the mast. I am aware that RDMs will give me a softer feel and less top end but I am tempted to move across. My question is will sails of my vintage be compatible with RDMs or would the fact that they are older mean they were cut only for SDM and so be unsuitable?

Cheers for any responses.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadwez View Post
    Hi,

Posted this question on Tushingham's website but radio silence. I've got Rocks in 4.0 and 4.5 around 5 years old and Storms in 5.0 and 5.75 a year or 2 older. Currently I use the recommended Tushingham SDM masts to rig them on but having used RDM masts on rented kit in the summer I found them to be so much better for transitions like tacks where I go to the mast. I am aware that RDMs will give me a softer feel and less top end but I am tempted to move across. My question is will sails of my vintage be compatible with RDMs or would the fact that they are older mean they were cut only for SDM and so be unsuitable?

Cheers for any responses.
    No problem with Rocks. My 4.0 & 4.5 Rocks are of that vintage & used with a Tush RDM.
    I used a range of new Rocks in 2007 on various RDMs.
    Dunno about older Storms. The current ones certainly do work on RDMs.
    Here to share the love.

I've got rocks in 4.7, 5.2 and 6 m that are 2008, 2009 and 2011 if I remember correctly. Use RDM's on them all with no problems. The 2009 was intended to rig both, the 2008 is SDM only and the 2011 designed for RDM but alleged to be compatible with SDM.

At the point people started using RDM masts, there was a lot of hype about which sails were or were not compatible with them. Some brands made a point of saying whether the different masts were compatible with their sails, but there was no retrospective judgment made.

So people got frightened of trying something when in fact most older sails will fit fine on either type of mast – you just need to rig them differently, to get a satisfactory feel.

Where some sails are not at all compatible to both RDM and SDM masts is where the luff sleeve has been made solely for RDMs.

What generally happens with an older sail – originally designed for and SDM – is you effectively change the luff round of the sail when using a narrower mast. But you can't damage a sail by doing that – it'll just perform a bit differently, possibly with a narrower wind range.

My older Rocks worked fine on tushy RDMs.
    I didn't have any Storms though.
    Last edited by basher; 29th October 2013 at 02:20 PM.
    Now back in the UK.

nice house with horses, cats dogs, and bride. USA
    I can not help with the specific sails in the post.

so far as fitting the RDMs , of course there is not problem( pointed out above that the opposite 'could be the case', but since thats a different chapter, will leave that.

********* The important thing in this case is that the mast, irrespective, of diameter is compatible with the sail mast curve . The sail doesn't know what went up the sleeve, just how it performs. The wrong RDM will be not so good ***********

K4 Fins 4Boards TRI-sails Sailrepair