Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Arf View Post
    Climb-on is very good, I have had terrible holes throughout my windsurfing days and that was the best thing I tried until recently when Mrs Arf took a look at the ingredient list of climb-on, decreed the ingerdients to be cheap and said she could make much better stuff.

She made some stuff, and I've not had a hole since. In fact since she made it, I've had 3 days on the trot, 2 in storm conditions on the 3.3, 3 hours in waves yesterday, that nuking sail at Joss a few weeks ago - possibly the most tightly packed together 'extreme' sailing sessions I've ever had.. and you should see my hands, they are in tip top shape. We plan to make a large batch and start selling the stuff within a few months.
    I'll buy some off you - you showed me your hands at the Shoreham film night last week and they looked good - sweetie!
    Tacking is the new gybing.....

Compeed plasters are good as long as they are securely taped on.

I use surgical strapping tape rather than duct tape. It sticks better in water.

I also have some leather palm (pro limit) semi finger less gloves that I have completely chopped all the fingers off bar one. This holds the leather palm in place (protecting the plaster ) and doesn't impeed grip at all.
    Last edited by rod; 4th November 2013 at 11:20 AM.
    http://forwards4cowards.blogspot.com/ a blog about looping

UPDATED Feb 2016

Quote Originally Posted by rod View Post
    Compeed plasters are good as long as they are securely taped on.

I use surgical strapping tape rather than duct tape. It sticks better in water.

I also have some leather palm (pro limit) semi finger less gloves that I have completely chopped all the fingers off bar one. This holds the leather palm in place (protecting the plaster ) and doesn't impeed grip at all.
    Not taking the piss Rod, but I'm surprised you need them with the amount of sailing you do - I thought regular sailing made gloves redundant? I totally ****ed mine up in Jeri, and although they look OK now, every time I've gone sailing since (each of the last three weekends), the callouses have torn open again. I was hoping that someone who got as much water time as you would be immune to the problem.
    Tacking is the new gybing.....

I only ever get holes when I'm travelling somewhere warm and sailing day after day.

UPDATED Feb 2016

I’ve suffered with hand problems off and on over the years (averaging 25 sessions p.a.) and find most damage occurs when the boom’s getting ripped out of my hands (eg following bad jump landings). Most recently I used a thin fingerless cycling glove to try and protect the previous week’s big hole in the usual spot just below my wedding ring finger (ring normally removed, forgotten that time!). I only succeeded in producing blisters higher on all my fingers – I must have changed my standard grip to avoid the painful part. It was still painful on Saturday, over 2 weeks after the original damage occurred, and stopped me moving my back hand when wave riding – my excuse anyway for perpetuating bad technique!

My tactic in future will be to take the fingerless gloves with me every time and stick ‘em on at the first sign of a problem, rather than just ignore it until the point where my hands are a bleeding mess - prevention being better than cure.

I'd also say that switching from 30 to 28 inch lines alleviated my hand holes a lot. TOW didn't seem to have a positive affect for me, there was little time for them to heal up during the 120ish sessions per year last year and the year before. And pullups, I avoid them like the plague as they ruin my hands.
    * -Scourge of the Seven Seas-*

Hmmm hmsgeoff. I told you I do pull ups?!?

UPDATED Feb 2016