Learning to gybe

As a convert from kiting I have gone about learning to windsurf in a non normal fashion (started with the waterstart and trying to sail in 30+ knots in big chop with a 135L board). Anyway - I'm now at the stage where I can waterstart, plane in the straps and harness and generally blast along in a straight line. Up until now I've been happy to jump off at the end of a tack as it's good rig recovery and waterstart practice but the time has come to learn to gybe (and tack). My question really is - can I learn the gybe on a FSW board that is about 5 Litres more than my weight in Kgs? I know it's probably easier on flat water with a big freeride but I've also heard many people say how they went straight from a big beginners board to a sinky wave board so I'm guessing it must be possible if the motivation is there.
    Also, will learning the tack or gybe be easiest? When I say gybe I mean just getting around and staying dry - not planing out of it.

Tim.

That's the traditional way. Also one of the reasons people, me included, take so damn long to learn to gybe. Learning on a floaty board in flat water will massively increase your progression rate. Small boards are not forgiving of any mistakes. There are a lot of threads on how and loads of good videos about to. Practicing the rig flip and foot movements off the plane helps a lot to.

Tell me Tiny Tim (can I call you Tiny with deference to your chunky munky remarks) did you ever manage to gybe a kite board?

If so did you switch feet first or after?

The truth is you can pretty much carve gybe any size of windsurfing board, all that changes is the degree of pressure required to the inside rail to ensure continued tracking through the turn and the point at which you transition the rig. (A bit like when you switch the kite after you've turned, if you ever did that.)

Interesting switch, from kiter to windsurfer, probably the first I've heard of, good call.

Thanks - I was hoping that would be the answer ! I am keeping the big board so it will be a combination of both with about 80% on the smaller one I would think.
    Graeme - Tiny Tim is fine by me ! Yes I can gybe a kiteboard (strapped and strapless) and I normally switch feet after. Hopefully that will help with the windsurfing. I think it's the rig that will cause the biggest problems. I still kite occasionally (normally when conditions are too much for me to windsurf) but I'm having much more fun windsurfing for some reason.

Because it's a better sport, particularly the board handling aspects of it.
    Got an opinion? Great. Guess what, so's everyone else!