Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19
    Quote Originally Posted by dr masse View Post

thanks - it is 226, 60.5 wide, 95 litre, fast rocker (R#3/2),

Thanks - sent you a PM so not to bog this thread down!
    http://pembswindsurfing.blogspot.com
    Thoughts, Stories and Exploits from a DTL duffer!

ps why the change to swallow tail for the 83 - just personal aesthetics or something more empirical / scientific?
    http://pembswindsurfing.blogspot.com
    Thoughts, Stories and Exploits from a DTL duffer!

Quote Originally Posted by Northy View Post
    ps why the change to swallow tail for the 83 - just personal aesthetics or something more empirical / scientific?
    I sure wish that it was scientific! Well, I have tried most tail designs by now (pin, round, diamond, squash, swallow...) and it sure isn't the most important part of the design compared with rocker, rails, volume distribution and outline, but still part of it I guess.

I just felt that since it works so good on the 95, I went for it on the 83 as well. The idea is that since I mainly sail small to mid-sized waves (about head high or a bit more at times), I want a tail design that keeps a bit of rail in the water but still allows for quick changes and tight radius. It seems to work, but I have no idea how much of this ability that is down to the tail design... and yes, I also like the look of it. And Kauli uses it, so must be right, right?
    Rig - Simmer vMax 7.2, Enduro 5.9, Black Tips 5.3 - 3.7, Tricera 5.0, HSM FL 5.7
    Boards - Simmer Hoogal 84 (custom), Simmer Freegal 100, Flikka 95 (proto), and 83 (tweaked Core line), Fanatic Blast 115

Moderates www.surfzone.se, wind and wave community in Sweden

So, my initial impressions of my Flikka 95 and 83 have only grown as I use them more. I have tried them in more fin set-ups, but mainly sail them as tri fin. I have gone up one notch on the centre fin on each board, now using a 18 on the 95 and 17 on the 83. Front fins are assy 10 cm.

A couple of days ago, I decided that it was a good day to try the 95 as a quad. I was very well powered up with a 5.0 on the outside, but it was lighter and a bit cross-on on the inside. I started the session on the 83. After a while, I wanted the added speed of a larger board on the inside but a softer and more controlled ride going out and in the top turn. So, I put in a quad set with 15 rears and kept the assy 10's in front.

This really did the trick. It was also a bit fascinating to try and it confirmed that using a quad set-up is an excellent way to calm things down and add control. The 95 felt remarkably more settled with four fins. And a fun thing with a quad is that you can really push in the top turn. I used the new Flikka "Down the line" as rears, and my initial feeling is that combined with the assy fronts, this is actually a very nice and all round quad set up.
    Rig - Simmer vMax 7.2, Enduro 5.9, Black Tips 5.3 - 3.7, Tricera 5.0, HSM FL 5.7
    Boards - Simmer Hoogal 84 (custom), Simmer Freegal 100, Flikka 95 (proto), and 83 (tweaked Core line), Fanatic Blast 115

nice house with horses, cats dogs, and bride. USA
    Unless the swallow itself is large, I think little is gained, it's mostly a cosmetic pleasing thing.
    i like the quads to quiet things down also

K4 Fins 4Boards TRI-sails Sailrepair

Quote Originally Posted by tooold2dance View Post
    Unless the swallow itself is large, I think little is gained, it's mostly a cosmetic pleasing thing.
    i like the quads to quiet things down also
    I think that it might be big enough on my boards, particularly the 95, to make a difference compared with a pin tail. I feel that it is a bit more agile than any pin tail I've had, whereas the difference compared with a squared off tail is less distinctive. But, the only way to know is to have the same board with different tail designs... but, to me it feels as if this swallow tail design gives a good compromise of stability on the rail whilst still being agile and easy to adapt.