Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast
    very nice!!!

nice house with horses, cats dogs, and bride. USA
    Never noticed any course ness on the deck. Nice to hear you like it.
    typical to dial in a more complex shape, multi finned...

plus us your getting used to it

K4 Fins 4Boards TRI-sails Sailrepair

Flikka core 83

So, after my (very) positive experience with my Flikka 95 proto, a nagging thought just kept growing in the back of my head. 'What if I could get this kind of performance out of a slightly smaller design...?'.

Kept my eye on a couple of options but, again, ended up scrolling the Flikka site and FB page to see it they had something. As it turned out, they had a 83 radical wave quad/tri Core line board going into production. I asked if I could do a slight alteration to the tail, mainly change it into swallow, and also add some more colour to it. "Sure!". And oooops, happened to order it.

And since I got it we've been very lucky with local conditions, apart from the snow ahem..., so I have been able to give it some proper outings on both tacks in good waves with 4.2, 4.7 and 5.0. Only sailed it as a tri-fin so far.

Somehow, it just feels as if everything came together with this board. I have consciously been challenging myself into different designs in the last few years, mainly going much more compact and turny. The main proof for this is perhaps the Frugal 88, Freegal 100 and the Hoogal 84 semi-custom that Ola H. has helped me with. I have appreciated all of these boards a lot, still have two of them, and feel that they certainly have allowed me to improve my wave riding quite a bit and into the desired direction. The one thing were I might have been struggling a bit has mainly been speed and carrying speed into my top turns.

Which neatly brings me to my Flikka boards. Because this is exactly what the 95 got out of me better than any board I've had or tried. The mix of speed and turning with such ease. And the 83 does that even better. For the first time ever, some of my much respected and experienced windsurf pals (all of them better sailors...) suddenly have said that "hey, you are really getting some very good and flowing turns out of those boards!". And I have to agree, because this is exactly what I have been feeling myself - more speed, better hits and top turns.

This, of course, has made me think. What is it that made this happen? To some extent, I really think that it is the boards. Just being slightly more drawn out, still compact, and with a bit less curve in the rail it is just plain easy to get a lot of performance out of them. I also think that my 'investment' in multi-fin, carving-oriented compact designs now is paying off. By getting myself on a design that is just a touch more traditional, and finally (finally!) getting a tri-fin setup to work has just hit the nail on the head for me at my current level and development.

I am very impressed by these two boards. Construction and quality wise, they are just top. I now have three Flikka-built boards, and have sailed them on very rocky places and am yet to repair my first ding (!). Let's just say that if they had been production boards, like my previous 30 or so waveboards built in a certain factory in Thailand, a lot more time would've been spent in my basement with the epoxy mask on. The Flikka standard construction, to me, seems to be spot on with the right mix of low weight (the 83 is 5.9 kgs in the flesh), durability and overall feel when sailing (not to stiff).

Overall, the Flikka core 83 is just such as sweet size for my weight (78 kgs) with really good range. Well balanced, easy to get going and just loves to turn. It responds very well to a variety of turns and speed, but most of all really rewards a bit more speed and putting some rail into those water walls. It works perfectly as a tri-fin (16 + 10 assy), but I will most likely sail it as a quad when it starts to be solid 4.2 or more wind or if the waves start to get seriously big to get even more control. But most likely, I will sail it as a tri 80% of the time. Just love it.

I am so looking forward to comparing this with my Hoogal 84. They are two quite different designs and it is going to be a lot of fun to see which one I prefer in different conditions and set ups. With that said, the Hoogal has found much stiffer competition that I thought when I got the Flikka 83, and have to admit that it is my new favorite toy...

As an owner of these boards, I am of course biased, but I've paid full price for them and have no other relationship with the Flikka brand that being a very happy customer. Oh, and their service and delivery has been nothing but great.

Last edited by dr masse; 7th November 2016 at 06:27 PM. Reason: mainly language
    Rig - Simmer vMax 7.2, Enduro 5.9, Black Tips 5.3 - 3.7, Tricera 5.0, HSM FL 5.7
    Boards - Simmer Hoogal 84 (custom), Simmer Freegal 100, Flikka 95 (proto), and 83 (tweaked Core line), Fanatic Blast 115

Moderates www.surfzone.se, wind and wave community in Sweden

...love it dr!

PS
    remind - what are the dims and role for the 95?
    http://pembswindsurfing.blogspot.com
    Thoughts, Stories and Exploits from a DTL duffer!

nice house with horses, cats dogs, and bride. USA
    Nice ride, luv the color combo, complete with orange fins

K4 Fins 4Boards TRI-sails Sailrepair

cool stuff!
    188x92kg 43y old, Supper/Windsurfer.

Witchcraft Flextail 104l + Witchcraft V4 86l HDD

2016/17 Hotsails KS3: 5.5+5.2+4.9+4.6+4.0+3.4 Ultra + Kauli + CAAS masts, AL360+ TL cont@ct booms lots of fins.

SUP Starboard 2015 Airborne 8.8x31.5x123l / Pro8.5x29x112l / Race14x25 / 2012 AST Coastrunner 14x28 / Gong9.4x29x135 Freak

Quote Originally Posted by Northy View Post
    ...love it dr!

PS
    remind - what are the dims and role for the 95?
    thanks - it is 226, 60.5 wide, 95 litre, fast rocker (R#3/2),
    Rig - Simmer vMax 7.2, Enduro 5.9, Black Tips 5.3 - 3.7, Tricera 5.0, HSM FL 5.7
    Boards - Simmer Hoogal 84 (custom), Simmer Freegal 100, Flikka 95 (proto), and 83 (tweaked Core line), Fanatic Blast 115

Moderates www.surfzone.se, wind and wave community in Sweden