Back loop vs Forward loop

Which do you reckon is the harder?

After a fantastic long weekend at Hillhead, Avon Beach and Haying I attempted for the first back loops. Im less daunted by them than a forward.

Im so stoked by these attempts and the vid I took I really want to achieve this this year. Lng way to go but Im failry confident. Any advice appreciated

Back loops are less daunting to begin with, but much more difficult to land.
    Forward loops are more easily achievable, and also more suited to a greater variety of sailing conditions.
    My 2p anyway
    * -Scourge of the Seven Seas-*

Back loop, by a country mile.
    Got an opinion? Great. Guess what, so's everyone else!

back loops are much harder to land / learn - forwards are miles easier.
    http://forwards4cowards.blogspot.com/ a blog about looping

UPDATED Feb 2016

Now the freestylers are back looping off chop, maybe this might need re-evaluating, but since any planing day is a forward loop day they will be a lot easier to learn on the south coast, even if they aren't actually harder to do (which they seem to be based on other people's experience). I've wanted to learn them for ages, but you can wait a very long time for back-loopable ramp to appear on the south coast - at least if you want it to coincide with a reasonable water temperature!

Since I can't always sail at a good tide time, I have a plan to use some high tide monster chop sessions to practice back loop take-offs this summer (there will be no chance of landing them!). Hove was looking launchable at high tide on small swells last time a checked, so it might just work out there with big chop steepening up on the outside sandbars. Not sure it will be possible, but its worth a try - if for no other reason than to make high tide sessions more enjoyable.

All of that assumes we actually get a bit of wind this summer and its not a repeat of last year.

Back loops are easy to try, but learn how to land takes time. Forwards are naturally blocked by your head, but finally much easier.

If you consider any front rotation as a forward loop (meaning for example the beginners speed loop) then the forward loop is A LOT easier to land than the backloop.

The backloop does not take TIME to learn. What it takes is lots of repetitions and tries. Think about 1000 good tries to start landing them. And that is the problem, because not every windsurfing day is a "backloop day". Even when itīs windy the ramps might not be easy for backloop learning. Of course many pros in Pozo and some local amateurs can do backloops of a chop, as well as the freestylers. Once you know how to land them you can start doing them from not perfect ramps.

But in most spots that process can take a long time.

My first proper backloop attempts where in 2007 and landed the first one in 2010. Then managed to land only two more that year. But then, in 2011 I started landing one almost every session by the end of the season. This spring I got my personal record landing 12 backloops in one session.

The speedloop/forward, you can land one on your back the firs time you try it if you do it right. I actually landed my first speedloop the same day I landed my first backloop. Once I landed the backloop my mind went nuts and I told myself... "now I have to do a forward" and I just did it.

But for me... that is not a proper forward loop. And I am still struggling, trying to learn proper (high, stalled) forward loops.

For me a high stalled forward loop is at least as difficult as a normal backloop. It takes a nice mix of technique and cojones that not many people can get...

But maybe I just have to keep trying...