Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Ezzy sails

Ezzy sails

Just wondering what others opinions are on this.. I can't get on with my ezzy 5.8 (biggest sail). I know ezzys are designed to have a very floppy leach, and it might just in my head but feel like the sails got no bottom end. so much so that my simmer 5.3 feels just as powerful. I can hold onto the ezzy when the wind gets up, but by then I might as well be on the simmer. In light winds it's not very nice to pump either as the head is flapping around much more than other sails even on little down haul.

Anyone else had this experience with ezzys in light winds?

Hi, if you ask me a properly rigged ezzy looks a bit tight leached compared to some brands. According to our local dealer too much downhaul is the number one rigging error with them. Rigging is easy if you follow the online video but in some lighting conditions it can be tricky to see the downhaul indicator. Sail should have loads of "spring" if rigged ok.

Past experience with an Ezzy Wave SE 6.9m was that you had to be careful in light wind not to crank down on the downhaul, otherwise you got what you described. From what I remember the difference between not enough and too much at light wind settings, was no more than 1cm.
    2017 Sessions: Speed/Slalom 08, B&J/Wave 04, SUP/WindSUP 00
    2016 Sessions: Speed/Slalom 20, B&J/Wave 23, SUP/WindSUP 03
    2015 Sessions: Speed/Slalom 20, B&J/Wave 10, SUP/WindSUP 07

Which 5.8 is it?

My Wave Panthers (1 and 2) rig with a pretty tight leach compared to many sails I've tried, and have been badly rigged by well-meaning folk used to more floppy-leached sails, rendering them a bit flat and gutless, probably not what you want in a 5.8 . In light winds mine sets with a tight leach and next to no flop... you only want it looser for higher wind settings, and even then not by much.

If you've got the red, black and white scalloped indicators at the top of the sail, then use these to indicate how much 'flop' to downhaul in by popping all the battens to the underside of the mast as you rig up, and laying the head of the sail on the ground as you downhaul to see how far the 'flop' extends in a small scallop of sail from leach to indicator: The first one for light winds and second and third for increased downhaul, but none of them needs very much downhaul, compared to, say, an older Tushingham Rock. You should then be able to use the matching strings to show you how much positive outhaul to apply at the clew for each setting. Works every time with mine and worth watching the appropriate Ezzy rigging video to make more sense of the above

Quote Originally Posted by na-omi View Post
    Which 5.8 is it?

My Wave Panthers (1 and 2) rig with a pretty tight leach compared to many sails I've tried, and have been badly rigged by well-meaning folk used to more floppy-leached sails, rendering them a bit flat and gutless, probably not what you want in a 5.8 . In light winds mine sets with a tight leach and next to no flop... you only want it looser for higher wind settings, and even then not by much.

If you've got the red, black and white scalloped indicators at the top of the sail, then use these to indicate how much 'flop' to downhaul in by popping all the battens to the underside of the mast as you rig up, and laying the head of the sail on the ground as you downhaul to see how far the 'flop' extends in a small scallop of sail from leach to indicator: The first one for light winds and second and third for increased downhaul, but none of them needs very much downhaul, compared to, say, an older Tushingham Rock. You should then be able to use the matching strings to show you how much positive outhaul to apply at the clew for each setting. Works every time with mine and worth watching the appropriate Ezzy rigging video to make more sense of the above
    Yep +1, I was also thinking you might have a really mis-matched mast but ezzies are supposed to rig ok with a wide range of manufacturers, apparently.

Just rigged it in the garden. It's at the top batten where it's completely floppy, but can't really get it loose by the indicators.

Do you have it rigged on a Tush or NP mast? Overly flextop mast could kill it .. or A hard top mast rigged with too much DH.. What mast?