Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    After three years of not much trying but here is my newest attempts (https://vimeo.com/228464046). The back hand is not sheeted in as it should and I have problems at digging the nose as a pivot point.

I had a lesson on Flakas out in Bonaire in may. Although I've yet to land one I can now get the board to spin round, although I'm still not getting the sail far enough forward to complete the spin.

The key points of the lesson were:
    1. Don't pop the board. Have the sail slightly back and put your weight on your back foot. Then shift your weight from back to front.
    2. At the same time throw the sail forwards and slightly to the side, maybe 30 degrees off the nose. Keep the sail sheeted in, don't push out with the back hand.
    3. The sail should end up forwards, with your back hand next to your head and over the top of the mast foot. This is what I'm not doing enough.
    4. When you land look upwind.

The first bit is done completely differently to how you think it is, because you don't pop and you throw the sail forwards sheeted in. It feels like it shouldn't spin you at all but it does. The back to front bodyweight movement is surprisingly powerful and I find going over the back of a bit of chop means that you get load of air. It will also mean you land nose first.

I still haven't landed one, but hopefully I'm close.

Quote Originally Posted by tim319 View Post
    I can now get the board to spin round, although I'm still not getting the sail far enough forward to complete the spin.
    Interesting reply. Thanks! Do you now get the full 360 degree rotation? Was it the Bonaire advice the thing that changed it so you could get the board to spin for the first time? I remember your videos from way back and your tries were pretty similar to mine I guess back then.

The not popping seems so weird on flat water at least? This is something I cannot figure out. I'm going to try it though. I just can't understand how I get any air on flat water or is it a bit different technique(?). I like to try on flat water since timing with the chop is yet another thing to think about.

I get some rotation on most of them now, and the better ones rotate most of the way around, but with the rig not far enough forward (I need my back hand up to my ear) so I end up getting flattened (like a bad upwind 360).

Even on flat water the weight going from back foot to front seems to get you air, and you get quite high if you do it off the back of small chop.

Everybody has different reasons for break-through's but what worked for me:

I thought of the move as coil the body as a spring (upper body rotates more than lower body to coil up) while bearing off the wind, then popping and uncoiling very quickly while trying to hit the sail with the outside hip. The key is to do the pop and uncoil in a microsecond, too slow there will be no rotation.

I've done the pop off both feet, off the back foot, and just extending legs and unweighting them and placing body weight on boom into the apparent wind. Popping off the back foot is probably the easiest. Perfectly flat water and no chop is the easiest since you don't have to worry about hitting the back of a wave at exactly the right time. The main point is that any sort of pop or un-weight will work as long as you are well over the board. I now enjoy doing them off the back of chop since I don't have to wait for flat water, so I can do them in absolutely any water state. Timing the take off is quite difficult though.

One of the reasons I battled a little in the beginning was because with the Vulcan I was used to pulling in the front arm while loading up to pop, I had to unlearn this since the front arm has to stay straight with the flaka.
    Another reason I had issues was because I was not relaxing the back arm (the back hand must be at the ear), this is very very important. The reason I eventually landed a flaka was because my back arm was injured so it was less sore to relax it, and then magically I started getting 360 rotations.

I hope another perspective helps.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanA View Post
    then popping and uncoiling very quickly while trying to hit the sail with the outside hip. The key is to do the pop and uncoil in a microsecond

body weight on boom into the apparent wind.

I was not relaxing the back arm (the back hand must be at the ear), this is very very important.
    Thank you. I really appreciated your comments. To sum up I will try the following:

- I'll continue popping on flat water since that just seems to be easier for me at the moment. I do acknowledge the possibility of not popping and using a wave and I'll definitely try that later.
    - I will try to speed up the rig throw + pop. Did not know that I was in such a hurry actually.
    - The trying to hit the sail with the outside hip sounds to me to exaggerate the rotation and making sure that not only the hands are active but the whole body needs to turn. I haven't tried this at all but I will.
    - On one try I might have the back hand close to my ear right after popping but my back hand seems to straighten up after the nose hits. So I'll have to work on that. That could be a signal that my body weight is too far back.
    - The body weight thing must be crucial to really throw yourself forward and bend at the waist I guess. I think my attempts are not as aggressive as they should be. I'm kind of throwing and trying to imitate the movements but not really exaggerating the throw and body weight movement from back leg to front leg. This is because I don't enjoy hitting the boom with my face and putting my knee through my new sails but I think more is needed to get any type of rotation. Once I backwinded the sail and one time I oddly rotated a bit and stayed in straps, which was not very ankle friendly.

Thank you both and please correct or comment if I understood something incorrectly. This move seems to be a bit hard to get started with. I mean the rotation is not happening very easily at least for me. I will have to keep trying harder.

That sounds correct, good luck. Just to re-iterate,the backhand being completely relaxed/ at the ear is very important, any backhand pressure at all kills the rotation.

It helps to break the move up a little, for example bear off downwind, pop with front hand extended but don't completely commit the sail into the apparent wind. This way you don't have to crash every time to get an attempt in. Get that part perfect, then try to add the sail placement part back in. Once the pop/takeoff is second nature you'll have more confidence to work on the timing of the rig placement.

Also think about speed, it's the apparent wind speed hitting the sail which causes the rotation, if you have no speed once you place the sail you won't rotate, so make sure you're still going fast when you pop and place the sail.

Please update the thread when you make some progress.