Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Asle View Post
    Thanks for the test! What kind of sails have you used on the boards? How big?
    What ever the wind was for from 3.8-5.2. We tested all the boards in lighter wind, gusty winds, stabile wind and of cause in some tow-in.

I'm sorry but how can the smaller boards plane earlier and go through lulls better than the larger ones of greater width, surely the 110 ish litre boards should have dominated this category?

Quote Originally Posted by smallwavediv View Post
    I'm sorry but how can the smaller boards plane earlier and go through lulls better than the larger ones of greater width, surely the 110 ish litre boards should have dominated this category?
    I understand why your getting a bit confused, but when planing threw lulls the speed of the but have alot to say as well. As example allmost any freestyle board around 90-110l planes easier threw lulls than most fremtiden boards around 120-130l

I think this is a brilliant list and very helpful for anyone considering what to buy, new or second hand.
    There are so few tests of freestyle boards, and we now have few magazines to even think about testing kit – so all this sort of feedback is very welcome.

If there's a moderator reading this then it would be brilliant if we could shift this thread into the freestyle section, as that's where it would sit best.

About the early planing/ board size thing I will add this:
    What is an early planing board for one person is not for another. An 80kgs guy will certainly prefer a 100litre freestyle board over say, the 65kgs sailor who finds they get going on their 90litre board just as quickly.

Board sizes also vary too in terms of width. A lot of people say the Fanatic and the JP 100 litre sizes are the earliest planing amongst freestyle boards – and I would agree with that, having sailed both. But watch out that those boards are 64cms wide, whereas boards like the Flare 101 is only 62cms wide, so the extra width is what helps here.
    On the other hand, the Flare is super fast, partly because it is narrower.

I own two freestyle boards at the moment – the JP 100 and the Flare 101. I like them both but they are very different boards – so the message is to try and demo any new board before buying if you can.

And then you just get out there and get practising. The best freestyle board will always be the one you spend a lot of time on, because that familiarity and muscle memory training is what will get you through your moves – and a favourite board is one that fits your feet like an old pair of trainers.

Other advice on freestyle boards is to start with a bigger size rather than go straight for a smaller one. Volume is your friend when learning basic moves and the 100 litre size is certainly the best for learning light-wind sail flicking moves. If you only weigh 60kgs then, for sure, a 90litre board may have plenty of spare volume.

People who are advanced in their freestyle skills will tell you to get a smaller board – and everyone loves to be on a smaller board, and they are more fun in chop and waves and more spinny when powered up on flat water – but when learning, the extra volume of the bigger board will extend your time on the water and up your success rate.
    The best board size for any day is also a function of the sail size you are likely to be on.
    Last edited by basher; 28th June 2014 at 01:08 PM.
    Main boards: Flare 101, NuEvo 86, UltraKode 80, Reactor 82, NuEvo 73. Powered by Severne Blades and S1s.

I'll merge the two threads so that the Freestyle experts, exponents and aspiring sailors know where to find it

Edit: There we go, all nice and tidy
    Last edited by na-omi; 28th June 2014 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by basher View Post
    I think this is a brilliant list and very helpful for anyone considering what to buy, new or second hand.
    There are so few tests of freestyle boards, and we now have few magazines to even think about testing kit – so all this sort of feedback is very welcome.

If there's a moderator reading this then it would be brilliant if we could shift this thread into the freestyle section, as that's where it would sit best.

About the early planing/ board size thing I will add this:
    What is an early planing board for one person is not for another. An 80kgs guy will certainly prefer a 100litre freestyle board over say, the 65kgs sailor who finds they get going on their 90litre board just as quickly.

Board sizes also vary too in terms of width. A lot of people say the Fanatic and the JP 100 litre sizes are the earliest planing amongst freestyle boards – and I would agree with that, having sailed both. But watch out that those boards are 64cms wide, whereas boards like the Flare 101 is only 62cms wide, so the extra width is what helps here.
    On the other hand, the Flare is super fast, partly because it is narrower.

I own two freestyle boards at the moment – the JP 100 and the Flare 101. I like them both but they are very different boards – so the message is to try and demo any new board before buying if you can.

And then you just get out there and get practising. The best freestyle board will always be the one you spend a lot of time on, because that familiarity and muscle memory training is what will get you through your moves – and a favourite board is one that fits your feet like an old pair of trainers.

Other advice on freestyle boards is to start with a bigger size rather than go straight for a smaller one. Volume is your friend when learning basic moves and the 100 litre size is certainly the best for learning light-wind sail flicking moves. If you only weigh 60kgs then, for sure, a 90litre board may have plenty of spare volume.

People who are advanced in their freestyle skills will tell you to get a smaller board – and everyone loves to be on a smaller board, and they are more fun in chop and waves and more spinny when powered up on flat water – but when learning, the extra volume of the bigger board will extend your time on the water and up your success rate.
    The best board size for any day is also a function of the sail size you are likely to be on.
    The local wind your spot have alot to say about the volume as well.
    For about 70-80kg samler under 70kg i Would go with a 90l or Even 80l board. For learning air jibe, Spock, flaka and loop volume is your friend and Will help you land Them faster.
    Under 7m/s 106L +
    7-10 m/s about 100L
    10m/s + 90L

Hi guys,

I'm quite new here and I'm looking for a new board. I have to choose between the skate TE 101 and the twintip ltd v3 101. I'm not an expert, learning to throw the first moves in the air. I'm searching for a board which can get planing fast and I woudn't have difficulty sliding and learning the first tricks.

In my local store the twintip is way cheaper than the skate and my question is that you think I could get into freestyle with the rrd board?

Thanks in advance !