Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by basher View Post
    All single screw deck plates have a lug
    Really? That's not been my experience. I actually bought a batch of lugged deck plates to replace luggless ones, when I realised that that little lugg might just save my kit / life one day.

To answer Rod's question, I've only ever had one unintentional separation incident, and the board was off to the beach before I could catch it. I have deliberately separated board and rig in the shallows a few times, and it's always been an absolute pig to reconnect. As Basher says. it may be more viable with a narrow board.

Max's upside down solution sounds interesting. Would anyone care to experiment?
    Eeeh 'tis grim dahn Sarf.

Quote Originally Posted by Arf View Post
    Nay, you put the lug at the FRONT of the mast track, that's what stops it coming out!

Which end of your track has the entry hollow?

Surely the lug needs to be at that end? – To stop the deck plate bolt getting near that end.
    Last edited by basher; 15th July 2014 at 12:02 PM.
    Now back in the UK.

My technique is to grab the board underarm, almost like I'm carrying a surfboard (top surface towards my ribs, arm down the underside, this way you can get the board to sit vertically in the water, and use the other arm to pull the extension towards the pin.
    Interesting - have you ever tried sitting astride the board and bending the uj/tendon to the mast extension?
    http://forwards4cowards.blogspot.com/ a blog about looping

UPDATED Feb 2016

Nay, you put the lug at the FRONT of the mast track, that's what stops it coming out!
    I'm willing to be corrected (especially given I seem to be getting into a mechanical argument with Arf) but I strongly disagree. How would having the lug at the front stop the base screw and nut from sliding out at the back?

Quote Originally Posted by rod View Post
    have you ever tried sitting astride the board and bending the uj/tendon to the mast extension?
    I have (just in calm water, in the shallows) and failed. Too much force required, combined with trying to tip the board over just enough to get the pin at the same angle as the mast.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mastbase.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	25.7 KB 
ID:	10268

I have this location where I have to carry the rig and board separately around the building due to turbulence and then connect them on the water to avoid scraping them on the concrete.

Its very difficult to do with a 63.5cm wide board in small waves and waist deep water, while wearing a harness.

I've got two deck plates to hand.
    My NorthSails one has a lug but that is next to the main bolt - and is just there to hold the washer steady as you tighten the plate.

My Radz one has the lug at the edge of the washer plate. If you set this lug at the mast track entry end then the deck plate cannot come out of the track if it gets loose. Indeed you need to loosen it a lot before you can get the deck plate off.
    If you put the lug in first then it is no help in stopping the deck plate sliding to the point where it can exit the track.

Separate issue: If your deck plate is unscrewing itself after a few gybes, then it is your UJ and extension bearings which probably need attention.
    Last edited by basher; 15th July 2014 at 12:39 PM.
    Now back in the UK.