Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Jumping in onshore waves

What am I doing wrong here, I can't seem to get that tucked, bourne off position and I land upwind + nose first. Most of my jumps look the same.

Is it the take-off angle or something I'm not doing in the air?

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jump1.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	10414   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jump2.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	10415   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jump3.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	10416  

Here's a few more, same problem.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jump_1_1.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	10417Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jump_1_2.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	10418Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jump_2_1.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	86.1 KB 
ID:	10419Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jump_2_2.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	10420Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jump_3_1.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	10421

You are jumping into wind. You also look well powered up there – a bit overpowered maybe?

The key to not jumping into wind is to push off the wave but then immediately bend your back leg, so the the tail of the board tucks up underneath you.
    That in turn levels the board, gets wind underneath it and stops it slewing into wind.

As you hit a wave you have a lot of load on your back foot, against the counter pressure of the fin. Once the fin comes out of the water the weight on your back foot pushes the tail downwind unless you pull it upwind as it releases from the water.

It's one of those counter-intuitive leg moves that you have to get your body to do – lift your back foot towards your bum.
    You can also help level the board by pulling up on the boom as you leave the wave.
    Last edited by basher; 4th August 2014 at 06:55 PM.
    Now back in the UK.

Ok thanks, sounds simple enough. Yes a bit overpowered probably, this was Rhosneigr on Sunday, fairly challenging conditions for me, I was using a 4.4 but others were on 4.2s and 4.0's. Wind dropped a little after this though and it was about perfect. Need to get myself a 4.0 or even a 3.7 if the current forecast for next weekend holds..

Are you very tall?

You do look like you are sheeting out, which is not good for jumping unless you want to drop the tail in first to cushion the landing.

I have found that too low a boom tends to push the nose down, and too high a boom will tend to give tail down jumps. At the right height of boom, the board should tend to level off nicely at the top of the jump.

If you think of blowing the nose downwind when you have spinout, and tucking the tail up under you to help the fin recover - jumping in onshore is a bit like that.
    The take off is a bit like standing on a swing and powering the board up into the air. Then you keep the power on enough to level the board off and blow the nose off the wind. You have to lean toward the nose a bit to get the nose offwind.
    Once you have levelled it off at the top of the jump, more power will push the nose down and less power will drop the tail. I try to keep the power constant enough to keep the board level on the way down until just before landing and then I sheet out to drop the tail in first and sheet back in as the tail hits the water to cushion the landing, flatten the board and give more forward momentum.
    Last edited by boards_ronnie; 4th August 2014 at 07:30 PM.

Just over 6ft and 65kg..

I don't seem to have the same problem when it's cross shore...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jump_4_1.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	10424Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jump_4_2.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	10425