Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
    Can of worms here – and I'm not sure what you are asking.
    First off, it's important to say what sort of board you are discussing.

(You could also argue this should be in the technique section.)

Footstraps determine where your weight is on the board. Mast foot position determines where the rig load acts on the rockerline, and the distance of mast foot to footstraps is the starter point in determining your sailing stance.
    Where you set the fins determines the looseness of a wave board and how much you sail it off the fins or rail.

With many slalom and freeride boards the mast foot position (or centre mast track) is still at 125cms from the tail. With wave boards this measurement is often less – either because the board is sailed with a more upright stance, and/or the board may be short by virtue of a squash tail.
    I often wonder nowadays if we should take a new measurement – which would be mast foot to the mid point between front and back strap.
    On a multi fin board, we might also be interested in the distance between the mast foot and the centre of area of the fin cluster.

As for 'get up and go' – what type of boards are we talking about here?
    The get up and go of a board may relate to where you position your weight on it but is more a function of rockerline and rail sharpness.

As much as it is interesting to compare boards with measurements taken, you can't really draw conclusions without sailing the board.
    Instead of trying to copy someone else's footstrap or fin settings, it's way better to experiment with these tuning options for yourself. I had a new board this year which I didn't like at first, and then I shifted the front footstrap forward and suddenly the board came alive.

Late edit:

If this post now seems odd, it's because it was written in sole response to the previous post, which itself was the start of a new thread.
    This thread has now been filled with confusing (confused?) earlier posts from another thread, pasted in before this one. The thread flow, now doesn't work at all, even if the subject matter is vaguely on topic.
    Last edited by basher; 22nd August 2014 at 02:38 AM.
    Now back in the UK.

Relevant posts copied from other thread for context

40 48'N 14 26'E -Western Med - West South Atlantic
    Quote Originally Posted by na-omi View Post
    Relevant posts copied from other thread for context
    Wonderful Na-omi thank you.

40 48'N 14 26'E -Western Med - West South Atlantic
    Quote Originally Posted by na-omi View Post
    This came up for me whist out in PSC, where I was using a range of different boards on different days, and found the 89 litre Witchraft Wave V3, probably a big-boy's wave board for most, to be the most comfortable for me as the footstrap positions were quite far forward in relation to the (very short) mast track. (I'm quite short and was struggling with the rearward strap positions on some of the other (Quatro and Goya) boards.) I tried comparing a number of boards that I'd been sailing, and even got the tape measure out, but used the footstrap and fin positions as a reference as the tails were all so radically different with some drawn out and others really chopped off. In the end I shoved a straight section of mast through the front strap in its most forward position to line the boards up, and then could compare the mast track and fin positions to try to work out why I was struggling with the rig / strap relation on some.
    Na-omi, I think you are on to something here.
    Using the fwrd straps as base parameter, could it be a new way of standardizing measurements among groups of boards?
    I mean now that we have the wide freemove boards, the freerace, the wave boards in single and multi fin, etc.

What else did you find of interest with your experiment?
    Ok you found the Witchcraft to be the most suitable what was it about the other boards that's worth remarking in the context of your experiment?

Thank you
    N

Interesting this measurement thing. Often we take various measurement from the tail , but often it's pretty irrelevant and only tells you something within a rather small fram of reference. I have since many years trying to get away from understanding my boards in terms of specific numerical values and thinks about them mostly in terms of curves (curvatures) and relationships. The distance between mast foot and tail is basically such an irrelevant measurement, as has been mentioned already. That said, the mast foot position is in my opinion a VERY important trim issue. I see it not only as some sort of balance point, but more and more I use mast foot position to get different feel and performance from the same board. This has to do with me moving back the mast foot closer to the straps the last 3-4 years. I do this to the point of creating what first feels very unbalanced, where the sail almost wants to catapult you. But after a while you don't notice that anymore, you only enjoy the much quicker reaction from the board and sail. But then, conversely, you can obviously move the mast foot forwards again to get more stability and often also a more forgiving feel as far as early planing goes. Basically you can be a bit clumsier, load on a bigger sail and more easily get the board up to speed when pumping onto a faster, bigger wave in super, super light wind with the mast a bit forward. On many of my boards I typically run 34cms from center of mast box to front screws of the front straps (and then I might even in practice runt the mast foot further back). I actually don't have a clue how this relates to other brands. On some of my more classic boards this distance is 37 (Fly75) or even 39 cms (Quantum75). I huge difference. All this is with basically the same distance between front and rear straps as well as a fin cluster that is pretty much at a similar place in relation to the rear strap. So basically I and other Simmer riders are sailing around with a substantially different distance between fin cluster and mast foot.

It would be quite interesting to measure these things on a big variety of boards. Actually, I think difference in this stance related stuff can explain quite a lot of different boards behaviors.
    Ola H.

Simmer Style Boards and Sails

Quote Originally Posted by rod View Post
    Looking at those two and as you say it could be optical, but to me the Witchcraft looks stupidly too far back, I know criticising Witchcraft in this place is blasphemy and without seeing where the fin/ fins are (this could be the defining factor with the spread forward that multi fins do to the C of R) visually the Naish looks too far forward and the Witchy too far back to me, but it's just pictures, not much can be defined by them and that Naish must be a big fast wave board, not intended for over here surely.

So how does that Witchy ride? Must be a real upright stance by the look of it, you don't get the feeling you want your footstraps further back? (Do you use the footstraps even).

check out the assymetry on that back strap of the naish too, strange.

the whole board is looks like a scaled up surfboard.
    * -Scourge of the Seven Seas-*