Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: more spock

more spock

Hi spockers!

Im landing vulcans in most of my attempts, i have been trying to spock for some time but had to take a 6 month break from trying due to some problems.

BUT now im back trying, had a 4 hour session today pretty much just trying spocks first 2 hours on a 3.5 and then two more on a 4.5. At first i felt like had never tried them and was pretty awful but then it got better. At the end i was finishing the full rotation and rig flip grabbing the sail but kind of falling on my ass/sinking in the end and could not quite finish it.

I guess i will have to try to get some footage of this to get good feedback on what im doing wrong but do you guys have any pointers from that description?

I'm not very consistent at them, but can make a fair % on a good day.

I find that if I look around really early into the rotation and extend the rig towards the nose I make a lot more. This is combined with having my weight really far forward at the start (further forward than going into a vulcan)

During the rotation don't push out with the back hand, keep it in to your armpit, and extend the front arm forward (like an upwind 360). This will make the rotation quicker as well.

You could also try to not flip the rig, and come out clew first, as this is the same as a Spock 540.

Thanks for the tips! That is similar to what i found yesterday, at first i tried them with the same body stance as a vulcan and didmt have much luck but when i started leaning further to the nose and extending the front arm more i came closer. Will try to do that even more and see where that leads me + im probably not looking around my shoulder soon enough.

Your Weight is the main key to the Spock succes. It can be done in light winds but the more speed the easier.

Look over ur shoulder and get the mast into the wind, like a switch stance heli tack.

The first rig flip gonna be fast as well.

If It a problem stil, then i will suggest u to focus on other varierents of the Spock, such as Spock 540(No needs for second rig flip) or clewfirst Spock(No needs for first rig flip)

Hey guys,

I'm nowhere near landing spocks, but attempting vulcans at the moment, any tips?

Joe

What worked for me was

1) bear a way more then you think
    2) front hand far forward and hand transition fast. I try to finish the hand transition before the tail hits the water after the first pop
    3) look back
    4) start by practicing switch sailing, i had trouble finishing the move on a certain point because i couldnt sail away switch
    5) dont sheet in to quickly when powering up again when finishing the move

You will not make a Vulcan until you get your weight right forward. Try and get your head further forward than the mastfoot. It will feel weird.

Oversheet the sail as you pop by giving it a hard tug with the back hand. Look back the way you've just come from.

Then immediately let go with the backhand and throw the sail back in the direction you've come from. At the same time you switch the hands.

Keep your weight forward as you slide backwards.

Practice sailing along in light winds in the straps, gybing and coming out switch stance. This will really help. (Also for anyone learning to gybe I guarantee you doing this will help your high wind gybes).