Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: more spock

Thanks for the help guys!

I've heard about the pulling with the backhand before the release, apparently it acts like a spring and makes you more likely to spin in time?

How high do you need to pop, just a little or a big pop?

How long did it take you guys to learn?

Yeah, the pop is done with pulling with the back hand (+ the actual "ollie" thing on the board") and you dont need a big pop, actually its better to keep the pop small, helps with the sliding and you dont need to start the move of chop or a wave.

It took me a long time to land my first vulcan, tried it every now and then on an 80L waveboard for more then a year and was able to slide backwards that way but never finishing it. Then after i got a 100L freestyle board it just took me about 3 sessions to start landing them but probably a whole other year of trying them every now and then until i could land most of my attempts.

For the Spock, go for an aggressive Vulcan, aim to jump right around the mast then put the mast forwards.

Thanks guys!

Thats right joe,
    Sheeting in helps with the pop and the spin. Top tip is to also have the back hand further down the boom. It sometimes helps to keep in control when taking off.

For other spock tips check out the video.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXej...ocu0EwVxFyZ55g

Getting closer to the spock, now i managed to waterstart away from a couple of attempts but still havent claimed it by doing a dry one. Here is a short clip from yesterday, shot pretty far from the action but one of those ass landings in there and a few vulcans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTCE...ature=youtu.be

I'd call 0:26 a spock! In my opinion you're trying to flip the sail too early on that one. The sail does not get backwinded. Backwinded sail is something to lean against and it pushes you on top of your board. I'd say that e.g. Tim's advice (on page 1 of this thread) is spot on and I'd concentrate on the last 180 of the move: push the sail into the wind with clew hand pulled in. What helps me is to think about moving my new back hand back on the boom. I cannot sheet out the sail if I'm moving it back and I've crashed many spocks by pushing the clew too early. There is no rush. Another thing is more speed. It is hard to find the correct speed to enter the move. You want to have control but speed makes the rotation quicker. The crashes tend to be more like the sail ripping away at the end or the rail catching in my case if I enter with more speed but you won't end up in the waterstart position.

One last thing. I'm no expert and land only 1/10 on a good day