Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Funny that, I was just speaking to a friend last week about changing my NP Tempo pulleys for Ezzy ones as the NP ones are corroded. You can buy the Ezzy blocks seperately but I dont have the tools for easily getting the old ones off. I need a bolt cropper or something similar I think. Im not encouraged by Tushy using pulleys now, if the failure of their head caps this year is anything to go by.

All the brands can suffer from the occasional rusty pulley. very rarely do they fail. Failure of the webbing is 5 times more common.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony E View Post
    You can buy the Ezzy blocks seperately but I dont have the tools for easily getting the old ones off. I need a bolt cropper or something similar I think.
    Tony, You could try one of the following methods to remove the old pulley block:

1. Stand the pulley block so the pin is vertical (hold it in a vice or similar). Put a punch hole on the top of the pin you want to remove with a center punch, then drill out flayed end of the pin with a drill bit the same size or slightly larger than the pin. Remove pin and assembly.

or

2. Secure the pulley block (in a vice or similar). Grind out the flayed pin end with an angle grinder or try filing it with a hand file (the latter will take some time and effort). Remove pin and pulley block from assembly.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony E View Post
    Funny that, I was just speaking to a friend last week about changing my NP Tempo pulleys for Ezzy ones as the NP ones are corroded. You can buy the Ezzy blocks seperately but I dont have the tools for easily getting the old ones off. I need a bolt cropper or something similar I think. Im not encouraged by Tushy using pulleys now, if the failure of their head caps this year is anything to go by.
    Re Tushy head caps....Are you referring to the Bolts? What kind of failure?

Oooh, Chinese whispers. This is how small issues get made bigger.

This Tushy issue was last year. I happened by my local shop and they mentioned that some Tushingham head turban rings were breaking and so I checked all mine.

It turns out that some batches of the earlier design of Rocks and Storms had their head turban 'D' rings made of a smaller gauge metal, and that some were breaking under extreme load.

Not one of mine was like that, so I didn't have to change anything.

Tushingham apparently supply a refit kit for those unfortunate enough to have had sails from those batches, available at your local dealer. Or just call Tushingham.

Back on topic, it's quite rare for stainless fittings to corrode as that NP sail pulley did. But it is common to find that stainless steel fittings show signs of rust after a while, due to imperfections in the metal.

The key with all stainless fittings is to check them for rust now and then, ahead of any potential problem. The rust marks are usually cosmetic, and I'd say a pulley failure as shown is rare.

You can help the problem by squirting WD40 on metal moving parts occasionally.
    Corrosion also happens faster where you leave stuff stored wet or in a damp environment.
    Now back in the UK.

Thanks for the ideas....just to clarify...the D ring on the head cap on my 12 month old Tushy Edge snapped when I was rigging. I had noticed corrosion and ignored it. The reason the D ring failed was the quality of the steel, it corroded through. Tushy were great and almost at the same time started a campaign of proactive free replacement with an improved part. So when I see significant corrosion on the pulleys on my Np sails I can tell the difference between corrosion which is cosmetic or something that I need to act on. Ill figure it out. It was unfair to assume the quality on Tushy was anything but good. Im going to get a 5.7 bolt soon to replace the 5.7 Edge, so will see.