Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Thanks Basher.............whilst on the subject ( Tush head turbans).....I noticed on my 5.5 Bolt that if I adjust the head turban such that it is flush with the top of the luff tube, the twin rings used to secure the webbing tend to push the turban over at a slight angle....the opposite angle to that which the top of the mast would be as it follows the luff curve. I decided it looked far better, and sat properly, eased off a little such that about 2cm of mast is visible between the turban and the top of the luff tube.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony E View Post
    Thanks for the ideas....just to clarify...the D ring on the head cap on my 12 month old Tushy Edge snapped when I was rigging. I had noticed corrosion and ignored it. The reason the D ring failed was the quality of the steel, it corroded through. Tushy were great and almost at the same time started a campaign of proactive free replacement with an improved part. So when I see significant corrosion on the pulleys on my Np sails I can tell the difference between corrosion which is cosmetic or something that I need to act on. Ill figure it out. It was unfair to assume the quality on Tushy was anything but good. Im going to get a 5.7 bolt soon to replace the 5.7 Edge, so will see.
    Since you call it a "d ring" I assume the fitting on your Tush was a d shaped steel ring with a sliding, serrated bar mounted within the D. On the Bolts they have now moved to twin stainless steel rings that lock against each other under pressure.

Hi, the ones that went were twin rings, the replacement was sliding bar type. See link.https://m.facebook.com/permalink.php...d=189684626486

Nothing wrong with twin rings so long as the quality of steel is good.

Quote Originally Posted by mikerb View Post
    Thanks Basher.............whilst on the subject ( Tush head turbans).....I noticed on my 5.5 Bolt that if I adjust the head turban such that it is flush with the top of the luff tube, the twin rings used to secure the webbing tend to push the turban over at a slight angle....the opposite angle to that which the top of the mast would be as it follows the luff curve. I decided it looked far better, and sat properly, eased off a little such that about 2cm of mast is visible between the turban and the top of the luff tube.

I don't do that.
    I think you're in too deep there.
    I always set my sails on the optimum length mast (cos I can) and I find adjustable head turbans just annoying. But what I do is set them on minimum and then feed the webbing back through the head cap, with the cap as tight to the sail as possible. That then means I can use as little extension as possible. And the head is locked off, and neat.
    The downhaul tension also sets the head turban square.

Perhaps I'm a bit of a luddite here. I'd prefer fixed heads and tack cringles for all my sails – but then all my sails are 6.5 or smaller.

I think we are off topic so I'll shut up now.
    Last edited by basher; 31st August 2014 at 08:58 PM.
    Now back in the UK.