Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mast foot screw stuck in SUP insert

I have got the mast foot screw thread stuck in the insert in my Starboard SUP. Its a normal deck plate, but you take off the usual nut and screw itinto a single nut that is embedded in the deck of the board.

In this case, the thread was stuck fast in the board because it had started rotating where it is normally fixed to the deck plate.

Slightly confusing, but basically I have had to slide a hacksaw under the deck plate and cut through the thread. I now have the remaining bit of thread stuck in the board. Any suggestions how to grip it to rotate it out? Its very tight to turn I suspct hence the destruction of the base plate. The top of the cut bit is flush with the deck foam.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-08-31 17.01.43med.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	10632
    "Surf it, Smell it, Enjoy it..."

You probably need a structural engineer, to figure that one out.

A pair of mole grips, though it will mess up the rubber surround.
    2018 Sessions: Speed/Slalom 03, B&J/Wave 02, SUP/WindSUP 00
    2017 Sessions: Speed/Slalom 12, B&J/Wave 09, SUP/WindSUP 01
    2016 Sessions: Speed/Slalom 20, B&J/Wave 23, SUP/WindSUP 03

Only way I can see is to drill a hole into the bolt and use a stud extractor, like this:
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/stud-extra...FYzHtAodRkAA8Q

You need to drill a hole thats big enough to use the biggest extractor you can, but at the same time leave enough wall thickness that the extractor doesn't bust through the wall.

The bolt is probably hard stainless, so try get your hands on some cutting oil. I'd start with a brand new 4mm drill bit to get the initial hole fairly small but well centred and deep, then increase drill bit size by a mm each time until you reach the desired hole size for the stud extractor.

A while back I had a snapped bolt in my van, I then snapped off the stud extractor in it too. Catch 22 situation :-( So don't be tempted by premature extraculation with a smaller hole size than ideal else it may snap off!
    Last edited by Arf; 31st August 2014 at 05:46 PM.
    * -Scourge of the Seven Seas-*

i would try and file or hacksaw a groove into the top of the bolt left and use a big flat driver on it

i did this for a snapped footstrap screw and it worked

40 48'N 14 26'E -Western Med - West South Atlantic

40 48'N 14 26'E -Western Med - West South Atlantic
    Quote Originally Posted by Arf View Post
    Only way I can see is to drill a hole into the bolt and use a stud extractor, like this:
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/stud-extra...FYzHtAodRkAA8Q

You need to drill a hole thats big enough to use the biggest extractor you can, but at the same time leave enough wall thickness that the extractor doesn't bust through the wall.

The bolt is probably hard stainless, so try get your hands on some cutting oil. I'd start with a brand new 4mm drill bit to get the initial hole fairly small but well centred and deep, then increase drill bit size by a mm each time until you reach the desired hole size for the stud extractor.

A while back I had a snapped bolt in my van, I then snapped off the stud extractor in it too. Catch 22 situation :-( So don't be tempted by premature extraculation with a smaller hole size than ideal else it may snap off!
    That

yep stud extractor ( or what we used to call "easy-out") is the only way but I suggest you squirt some WD40 around the bolt first and leave it for a few hours. Find a suitable bolt that matches the size and use that with a hammer to gently tap the bolt...then repeat the WD40 treatment. I would drill the hole for the easy out slightly differently to previous suggestions. I think it is best to drill a small pilot hole first, but then go to the right size for the easy out. Working a hole in hardened steel gradually bigger increases the heat treatment given to the bolt and also increases the risk of snapping a drill bit.

If all of the above fails, your only option will then be to drill the bolt out such that only a very thin wall remains......virtually anything you can find to jam into it will then provide enough grip to unscrew it.