Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

new sail technology S1

Looking at 2015 Severn sails I see the S1 is now made with single film onto which carbon strips are printed which along with battens define the shape.

The result is a lighter sail that is more expensive than traditional approach, approx %30

Has anyone tried this?

Do you think it is worth extra premium?

How would this type of sail be repaired?

I think sails are already too expensive and make me consider where and when I launch

I think there have been a couple of threads on this before – and there's certainly stuff about it in the 2015 gear thread (which is in the 'general discussion' section).
    Good to have a separate thread though.

The developing technology on this is not unique to Severne and was used first by NP in some of their sails last year and maybe the year before, IIRC.

(I certainly wrote about Pryde prototypes I'd seen in Cape Town two years ago. These freestyle sails then had unidirectional thread/scrim in the lower panels.)

Avanti sails also use a lot of this sort of 'cloth'.

As we move away from mono film and its limitations there are several new types of scrim available. Basically they are still thin layers of mono film but with fibres laminated between two film layers.

Until recently, or for the past ten years, the fibres were laid between the film in a uniform mesh – so as to have equal strength in the warp and weft directions.

This newer way of laying the fibres can mean the cloth strength is better geared towards the load directions found within a sail.
    How much weight that actually saves is open to debate, although it is a paring down of unnecessary strength in non-load directions.

The system can be more expensive because of the way the sail panels are cut from a roll of cloth. Even if the cloth roll was made to the same cost, you would have more cloth wastage with directional fibres needing to be laid in a certain way. That's maybe where the 30% price hike comes from.

I can't however see a sail would become much lighter when using this cloth – when you look at the other stuff used in making a sail like battens, tabling, luff sleeve and reinforcement/patching.
    I can see however that the sail would look different and this is a great change for marketing purposes, if you push the idea the sail is stronger where it needs to be so.

Severne are on a bit of a roll in capturing the top end of the market right now, and this development fits in with that.
    Last edited by basher; 7th September 2014 at 11:32 PM.
    Now back in the UK.

Avanti sails, Dan Kaseler, - been considering being retailer / importer but commitment they want is too high. Cheapest sail (3.6) in membrane construction is approx 520!

Bob - 4boards.co.uk

To put these high sail prices in perspective, I had a sail custom designed and built for an F27 trimaran out of high tec laminate materials, CAD designed and CNC cut out then hand built here in the UK with a sail area of 40 meters (a lot of material!) and it cost under 1000 a couple of years ago. Maybe I should get the sailmaker to make my windsurfer sails!

Quote Originally Posted by 4Boards View Post
    Avanti sails, Dan Kaseler, - been considering being retailer / importer but commitment they want is too high. Cheapest sail (3.6) in membrane construction is approx 520!

Bob - 4boards.co.uk

Those Avanti sails are just fantastic. By a little coincident I have two of them, EchoME 4.4 and 5.2. I have been sailing them a lot the last two seasons, and they still look brand new. In additions to that they are stupid light. Coming from a "normal" sail to an Avanti you really notice. Best thing about them is how they work and feel. They are just amazing. I will probably hold on to them forever.

But, they have a stupid price and I can not see myself paying full retail to get more of them.

Here is a review of the 5.0 Blade Pro which gives the new sail cloth the thumbs up.

Quote Originally Posted by mrwaverley View Post
    To put these high sail prices in perspective, I had a sail custom designed and built for an F27 trimaran out of high tec laminate materials, CAD designed and CNC cut out then hand built here in the UK with a sail area of 40 meters (a lot of material!) and it cost under 1000 a couple of years ago. Maybe I should get the sailmaker to make my windsurfer sails!
    Maybe you should get a quote. You might be surprised/shocked.
    Wish I was better, but don't we all?!