Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by na-omi View Post
    There is a large central clear window which did indeed show signs of scuffing from careless use of clip on harness lines, so I imagine these sails would have to be handled with care. On the impact front, the window seemed incredibly tough, and felt like it had a fair amount of PVC or similar material in a more rigid laminate than the usual flexy PVC windows in something like an older Ezzy. There might be issues if you perforated the window, but the rest of the sail had plenty of X-Ply cells to limit the spread of any ruptures.

Is the S1 window not just thicker mono film?

Ezzy still use the 'crash strip' window of PVC that they always have had. (It's only a small section of the window). The idea of that is it gives the sail window area some 'give' when you are trashed in waves.

But I'd be surprised if any Severne sails had PVC in the window. PVC fell from use in our sails once sailmakers started using panel tension as part of the sail's stability.
    Now back in the UK.

40 48'N 14 26'E -Western Med - West South Atlantic
    Quote Originally Posted by na-omi View Post
    I'm no expert on the technology used here, but was very, very impressed with the new S1 Pro I got to handle at NWF, along with a very informative discussion from the guy in charge of it. The lightness has to be handled to be believed.

The whole sail seems to be custom-laminated with the directional reinforcement being built in exactly where it is needed in a single lamina form for the whole sail, suggesting that each sail is laid up or constructed for its size, rather than being 'cut' out of a larger 'cloth'. There are no seams other than where the batten pockets are stitched over the continuous material at the relevant points, and every virtual 'panel' is built into the sail using directional fibre reinforcement particular to the sail size, shape and cut. There are also radial fibres running from the clew to various points across the sail in diagonal reinforcement, and shaped linear reinforcement for luff 'panel' and leach edge, as well as either side of the batten locations. The sail looks like there is a series of fibre 'frames' around where you would expect each sail panel component to be, but these are all bonded into a single lamina. I don't know if the material is laminated over a 3-dimensional former to give the sail its shape, but it seems to set very nicely without any seams required internally.

There is a large central clear window which did indeed show signs of scuffing from careless use of clip on harness lines, so I imagine these sails would have to be handled with care. On the impact front, the window seemed incredibly tough, and felt like it had a fair amount of PVC or similar material in a more rigid laminate than the usual flexy PVC windows in something like an older Ezzy. There might be issues if you perforated the window, but the rest of the sail had plenty of X-Ply cells to limit the spread of any ruptures.

If I had the cash I'd love to have a quiver of these, and a carpet to rig them on

It's great to see some real innovation that is bound to trickle down into more affordable and hard-wearing developments in this and the rest of the brands, and great to see it first hand at an accessible mass-participation event like NWF... well done Ben Severne and all the other innovators
    Good writing no-omi.

This may complement your post, use chrome to translate.

http://www.4windsurf.it/2014/09/09/f...-il-freestyle/

Also there is an interview to Ben Severne that explains all you have posted but it does not seem to be online yet.

40 48'N 14 26'E -Western Med - West South Atlantic
    Apparently because of the range this new construction offers you need less sails so effectively in an overall quiver cost you'd spend less.
    That is the reasoning behind the spacing of the sail sizes compared to the non Pro nomenclature that has more sail sizes

Nothing to do with me, but some nice (if somewhat PR driven) vids to let you see an example of the process / concept in manufacture. North (sails not windsurfing) hold a patent(s) covering some of these principles.

Inevitably a user will put holes in it, any ideas how easy it is to repair? If its one continuous sheet I'd think it would be tricky to do.

And another vid (think I've posted this one before), similar tech/principle... different approach.

And some general blurb from a sailing mag here

http://www.sailmagazine.com/inshore-...x-racing-sails

Very nice to see Avanti, NP and Severne experimenting...

Quote Originally Posted by Navegante View Post
    Good writing no-omi.

This may complement your post, use chrome to translate.

http://www.4windsurf.it/2014/09/09/f...-il-freestyle/

Also there is an interview to Ben Severne that explains all you have posted but it does not seem to be online yet.
    Be great to hear a summary if you have time especially any more technical details about materials, construction and their attendant logic