Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Patrik Slalom Boards

I've just ordered a Patrik Slalom 115 V2 (2340x70cm). Mostly because there are a bunch of sailors at my club on the same boards. I wasn't able to find very much information about this board on the web. One review in one of the French windsurfing mags that said it rode close to the water and offered good range and control but not quite as much low end speed as the other boards on test. The one thing I'm not convinced about is the adjustable cutouts at the back of the board.

Has anyone got any views on these boards?

I've also ordered a 6.6m2 North s_type SL. It's probably a bit small but the wind does nuke down here in Cape Town.
    My Boards: 2016 Fanatic Falcon TE 129, 2014 Patrik Slalom 115 vII, 2014 Patrik Slalom 92l, 1992 Windsurfer One Design, 2012 Fanatic Freewave 85l
    My Sails: North Sails Warp f2016 , North Hero, North Volt

Don't know anything about Patrik boards mate...sorry...but I would interested in your view of the S Type SL. I updated my 7m RAM this year.....with another 7m RAM before they disappear because I was not convinced from the limited information on the North web site that the new SL would be as good as the RAM.
    ps I am not knocking the S Type........I also have one of those and it is great as a light wind slalom sail but I like the virtually unlimited top end provided by the RAM for higher wind conditions.

I have hired them a few times in Kos..lots of locals there are on them..They are fantastic.....Not sure about the adjustable cut outs but the basic design /construction is as good as any...I have always come home thinking perhaps next time but stick to Fanatic...brand momentum I suppose... Couldnt find fault with ones I,ve hired...do think at this level/type of board its purely down to rider... Jens (at centre) was more than a match for anybody on water (lots of Isonics/Futuras/Falcons) but reckon he would have been on whatever he sailed..damned good boards tho..you wont regret it..

Thanks Alphie. That's great news.

Yes Mike, I'm taking a bit of a risk with the s_type SL because, as you say, there isn't much info available on them. However, I did the same with the e_type and wasn't disappointed. I'm not ready to go straight to a full race sail and there aren't any second RAMs around right so the SL is the next step up the ladder.
    My Boards: 2016 Fanatic Falcon TE 129, 2014 Patrik Slalom 115 vII, 2014 Patrik Slalom 92l, 1992 Windsurfer One Design, 2012 Fanatic Freewave 85l

40 48'N 14 26'E -Western Med - West South Atlantic
    I have this for the 100 slalom from the 1014 Wind Mag test

Attachment 10796
    Attachment 10797For 2014 the shape has not changed from '13. The cut-outs have variable depth you can adjust. Narrowest in the group.
    Thinner and not as wide in the tail it is not the earliest planer.However it does not matter as this is not what is demanded from slalom boards of this volume. Less thickness and less raw power never the less it is very efficient. It gives a ride with a lot of comfort and balance even at high speed it provides exceptional planing. With very little wet surface it barely touches the waves it does not crash into them, the sensations and performances are there. Beam reaching and broad reaching is where the Patrik is at its best against its adversaries.
    Rigid in construction she flies well over chop without tiring you. It is easily the easiest in the group and the one that glides the best.
    Jibing is precise and incisive, she carves without bouncing and accelerates easily at a minimum wind.
    Attachment 10798

Attachment 10799She offers the strongest planing sensations coupled with a very appreciable control that make it easy to get the best out and its ultra pleasant. It's one of the most competitive ones at 7.0. Slightly less competitive at 7.8 but very fast in the high winds.
    The Patrik is very balanced giving an incredible glide. Close behind the isonic but with more comfort.

http://vimeo.com/61282641

http://www.windmag.com/planches-2013-patrik-slalom

Cheers

Allow for some free interpretation in the translation.

PS this boards are highly appreciated in France, for the connoisseur not for everyone.
    I think you'll love it.
    I saw three guys using them in Hyeres last year they were not a team the boards belonged to one guy and the other two were testing them to get for themselves.
    Last edited by Navegante; 19th September 2014 at 08:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Capie View Post
    Thanks Alphie. That's great news.

Yes Mike, I'm taking a bit of a risk with the s_type SL because, as you say, there isn't much info available on them. However, I did the same with the e_type and wasn't disappointed. I'm not ready to go straight to a full race sail and there aren't any second RAMs around right so the SL is the next step up the ladder.
    At risk of having 2 separate threads here!! From what I could see the S type SL retained the S Type sizing rather than the RAM /WARP sizes, but maybe had a slightly bigger luff tube around the boom area than the original S type, but not a full length larger luff tube like the RAM. Not sure there are any other changes. I think the issue with the S Type/RAM/Warp range was that the RAM had become so similar to the Warp ( 1 less cam and a narrower but still medium sized luff tube) that it was not viable keeping all 3 sails. Certainly what they could not risk doing was to compromise the characteristics of the S Type which had made it so popular over the years. The test of whether the S Type is a viable replacement for the RAM will be its stability, speed and top end wind range. I suspect it will be somewhat faster than the original S Type but there is nothing in the design change to suggest it will match the RAM on the other 2 counts. The other big difference between the 2 is the bottom end grunt. The S Type had plenty...the RAM...not a lot! So the RAM is designed to be sailed at least well powered. The S Type can be used in lighter winds. Well worth equipping yourself with an adjustable outhaul because it is mostly outhaul that you need to adjust for differing windstrengths. I set my S Type on near max downhaul regardless of wind strength. Outhaul then adjusts from zero to plus 2cm to cater for all winds.

Merci beaucoup Navegante!! Pour la prochaine fois - pas besoin de traduction. J'ai passé plusieurs années à Paris.

Thanks for the tips, Mike. Should have the sail in a few weeks. The correct mast will take a while to arrive but I will report back on how it works with the Red mast I have.