Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11
    Possibly your standards are higher than mine.
    The 36 that hums the same tune no matter what the speed did 39.5 mph at Crissy Field under the guidance of Mike Percy, flood tide, 8'10" Mike's Lab blue label 1999. He won the Crissy speed trials with it, bought a new 36, gave that one to me, and his new one is slower or less slippery up to top speed, then is quiet and just fine.....this according to him.
    I also have an old 37 Rainbow V-1 (yes, I know, Rainbow makes crap fins), that is the fastest, most slippery fin I"ve used on my JPSuperSport 109, and I've used at least 9 different slalom fins on it including PB Tetonics, Selects, and one custom Deb R-13 (converted from Tuttle to Power).

Oh, my standards.
    After using the 2017 Gaastra Cosmic 6.7 and a 2016 Matrix 5.5 the past few days, I went retro and used a 1998 North IQ, just for fun. Underdownhauled but in 14-19 mph winds, it was FAST, slippery, and walked on a bud of mine using a Fanatic Falcon 1016 and Severne RAF 5.7. He's 25 lbs lighter than me, so that 6.5 was a good matchup. Not sure I'd be any faster on the new sails.

And of course, one legendary old windsurfing eccentric around here uses only 1989 and 1990 Windwing Race sails on his 2016 Tabou Rocket Wide 118, and he uses a 30 cm blade fin on it.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeDD View Post
    And of course, one legendary old windsurfing eccentric around here uses only 1989 and 1990 Windwing Race sails on his 2016 Tabou Rocket Wide 118, and he uses a 30 cm blade fin on it.
    I had a north mega of that vintage which I swear is the fastest sail I have ever had in my hands. Pure top end and nothing else!

I was a Gaastra sponsored sailor, had a quiver of Race Foils for racing, and a quiver of Speed Foils for the local speed circuit here in NorCal.
    The Speed Foils were really good when you turned the top 2 battens around, stiff part first, soft thin end in the leech. I was only around 144 lbs. mostly, and posted times at least half way up the ladder against the guys who weighed from 225-275 lbs., in strong winds. I'd always be among the fastest in winds under 25 mph. It was high winds that the big boys had the advantage, and at one of the Klickatat Speed Events, I posted top 5 speeds with a 5.0 Speed Foil in gusts up to 35mph, this against a specialized field of well over 150 competitors with speed gear.
    Unfortunately, I never got my boards tuned into the higher winds, as my sponsors Seatrend and Haut kept making my boards too flat from the tail for too long a length, which worked great for the heavier rider's, but not for a lightweight. Ahh, such is life in the past.

Stuck the 36 Tetonics Phoenix into the 111 Futura, boy, that worked solid as a rock, and much more slippery than the Drake 38, Select SuperFast 34, or the 30.
    Maui Sails 6.0 Switch.
    And on the Exocet 95, a Gold Wing 34, and on JPSlalom 84, a 28 Angulo swept pointer.