Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    40 48'N 14 26'E -Western Med - West South Atlantic
    You're welcome, Capie. It might be useful for others too.
    Cheers

I am also curious about the boards. After returning to slalom sailing two years ago I have only looked at the Isonic range. All other slalom boards just don´t get my attention. I was discussing this with a friend the other day and he has it the same way. The Isonics we can check up and discuss for hours, but other boards I know nothing about.

Why is it like that? I do not know. Maybe I would get as interested in other boards if I tried them? If I was forced to choose other boards than Isonics right now without the possibility to check up anything I would have chosen Patrik or RRD.

They had a very good stand at the UK National Watersports Festival recently, with some lovely looking boards across all types, and very interesting 'seminars' on board design, repair, set-up, technique, etc.

Might be worth seeing if they would do something similar at other events?

The boards look very tempting!

Well one way of knowing (with some latitude) what other slalom boards might be overlooked is what is used for the Defi Wind.
    There is also Mistral, Novenove. possibly Naish...

First two-hour session on the Patrik this weekend. It's the 115 vII and I used it with my 2014 North e_type 7.3 (performance no cam) and a Select 39cm fin (not sure model). I left the cutout inserts in. Wind was very light. 0-8 knots when I went out and built to 45 minutes of 10-13 knots. The biggest gust was 13.9 knots and resulted in a top speed of 22 knots!

I was really surprised at how easy it is to sail. Bear in mind, I'm stepping onto this board from a Fanatic Gecko 105 which is supposed to be very easy to sail. In these, admittedly mild, conditions, it was no more difficult to sail than the Gecko. In fact, I pulled off more planing gybes than I have ever achieved on the Gecko including a first of consecutive planing gybes on opposite tacks. The gybes have been the standout feature for the two other guys I know who bought the board at the same time.

The Patrik is a more active planer than the Gecko. It needs a bit of pumping and a slower transition into the straps whereas the Gecko, you can stand in the straps and wait to be lifted. I would say that with pumping though, I was up and running in 10 knots or so. Perhaps slightly earlier than on the Gecko. GPS shows that I was planing for most of the session which, considering the average wind speed was around 10 knots and I was on a 7.3 no cam, is pretty impressive. I had it flying on the fin at one stage and it wasn't even mildly scary. At all times, I was confidently in control. It planed through lulls better than the Gecko (although it does have 10l more volume).

Interestingly, the e_type felt quite different on this board than on my Gecko. I had been wondering whether it was the sail or the board that was holding me back on the freeride kit. The e_type does seem to have found another gear here. It seemed to pull forward more and I found myself standing a bit more upright with the sail raked back further. Generally the sail felt more slippery through the air - faster.

Overall, I got on this board with some trepidation. I thought a dedicated slalom board would be a handful for me at my skill level. If I managed to sail it at all, I felt for sure I wouldn't be able to gybe. It wasn't at all. The Gecko is plenty fast in these conditions but also feels a more lively under foot. At 22 knots on the Gecko, you know you're going fast. On the Patrik, it was effortless and the gybes were easier. I don't think I've ever gone 58% faster than the wind on the Gecko, so I reckon it was pretty quick. I will need to be out on the water with other sailors, or sail it back-to-back with the Gecko to really answer that question though. It will be interesting to see how the Patrik goes in higher winds. The stellar performance in light winds does make me a little worried that it will be a handful but so far I haven't had even the smallest inkling that it will be difficult to control.
    My Boards: 2016 Fanatic Falcon TE 129, 2014 Patrik Slalom 115 vII, 2014 Patrik Slalom 92l, 1992 Windsurfer One Design, 2012 Fanatic Freewave 85l
    My Sails: North Sails Warp f2016 , North Hero, North Volt

Good to hear Capie, happy for you.
    Get ready for cambers...

Nice report Capie!

I have the isonic 110 (75cm) and have found it very easy to sail with easy sails. I had a full race sail, the Simmer SCR 7.8 (4 cams) for a while and that was a different story. Still no problem to sail, but hard work and the full on race things about the sail first pays of when you are super overpowered and have to work even harder. But it is fun.
    Now I have a Severne Overdrive 8.6 (3cams) which must be the best sail in the world. It has the power but with a feel of a light easy sail. I have done 28 kts on the 110 with that 8.6 and it felt just fine.
    I also have a Severne NCX 7.0 (no cam) that I use on the board. With that sail the set up is just fun cursing and it is super easy to plane through the gybes.

Btw, the biggest difficulty about planing through the gybes when it is light on the bigger sails are the fact that you sail so much faster than the wind going into the gybe that you hit a wall of air when you are right down wind, the sail back winds and you come to a stop. When it is light I try to gybe in gusts to avoid that. If I am in a hole and have to turn I try to tack.