Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: New GPS?

New GPS?

I'd like to get involved with speed sailing, but I can't find a GT 31 anywhere in the UK. There seem to be some available in the Netherlands, but they are very expensive.

I'm not going to be challenging for records any time soon but would like to Compete in my sailing club local league .

Does anyone have any suggestions what I should do?

The http://shop.gps-speedsurfing.com/p/52/gt-31-locosys-gps GPS Speedsurfing site shop still seems to list them

The chip they used went out of production some time back hence the lack of availability. There is supposedly a new replacement coming but that seems to be taking a long time to materialise.

You might take a look at the gp-102

sinced this is my first post I can't add an url, but if you googleGetting started with the Canmore GP-102+ GPS

you find more info.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...d_i=B00EAB2Y8Q

60 seems a lot better than the price for the GT31 (€170 from the gps speedsurfing shop). It seems to have all the functions to track your speeds ok. Looks good.

From googling it seems to get GPSResults (which gps-speedsurfing use) to read the file you have to convert the file to a different format first. Whats more worrying is that gps-speedsurfing don't have this as a recognised device but guess that's only an issue if you want to use that site to record your speeds.

My older Garmin Foretrex 201 is now starting to show its age and sometimes doesn't connect to the PC, guess the contacts are on the way out. These aren't available now either and the later 301/401 are well over 100.
    Last edited by phil_in_poole; 24th October 2014 at 10:30 AM.

Before I got my GT-31 ( thanks wifey) I used my Gopro to video a run and Google Earth to measure the distance of the run (you really need Island to Beach or similar).....then using the recorded time of the video worked out my average speed. OK it will not tell you your max (2 secs) etc and the distance measure does not account for the fact that you rarely sail in a straight line from a to b but it is a benchmark and you can at least do the same run several times and compare your times.

Don't you need a GPS with a doppler doo-dad incorporated? Most don't, as I understand it, because most are more concerned with position, not speed. This may be out of date info.