Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Custom boards Vs factory mass produced?

Having had a great many boards from Fanatic, Goya, Starboard ... I have come to the conclusion that board manufacturers these days do not have longevity and ease of repair in mind when they design their boards. Given how easy I have found it to damage the nose of a board with a single over the front off and the subsequent nigh on impossible task of trying to rematch the graphics, I have concluded that it is time to potentially look at custom offerings, eg Witchcraft, Puravida .. Simple graphics and bomb proof construction. Seems to me it's the way to go.

I know Rod is a big fan of witchcraft, but I do find it staggering why custom boards, given their durability are not a far more common sight on our beaches?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flanajb View Post
    I know Rod is a big fan of witchcraft, but I do find it staggering why custom boards, given their durability are not a far more common sight on our beaches?
    That is because you have to think to get a custom. Most sailors do not like that and are like sheeps following the herd.

You also have those that get boards almost for free because they know someone. All the sailors who sails the same brand year in and out are in that group.
    Last edited by Asle; 24th October 2014 at 07:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Asle View Post
    That is because you have to think to get a custom. Most sailors do not like that and are like sheeps following the herd.

You also have those that get boards almost for free because they know someone. All the sailors who sails the same brand year in and out are in that group.
    Fair point. Never really thought of it from that perspective. I was going to ask why the large production board producers don't also offer HDD board construction, but then realised that was a daft question.

I guess it depends where you sail... fair amount of Witchies and Moos about on the beaches I often end up on.

Not seen a Flikka in the flesh yet though....

I think first off you need to be reasonably knowledgeable about board design in order to be able to specify exactly what you want, the board will be fairly personal to you so may not have much appeal to anyone else if you ultimately want to sell it and of course you will not know exactly what the board will feel like until you have paid for it. If on the other hand you know exactly what you want, are likely to hold onto to it until it is time to retire it, then you get something tailored made for you and potentially with the construction priorities you consider important. Or if you are just after something bombproof, seek out an old Tiga wave board!

Good plan flanajb

If you are after durability then Witchcraft is really the only option.*

But you could just get a Shaman/Wave Witchcraft HDD - this is the same build as the custom HDD, and as tough.

*from my limited experience.
    http://forwards4cowards.blogspot.com/ a blog about looping

UPDATED Feb 2016

Not sure abut this.
    What do you mean by 'custom' ?

Surely Witchcraft are now production boards?

How do you know that a random custom board is any better or worse than a production board? You can hardly test drive the shape before ordering it.
    If there were more local shapers then the chances of getting a good custom for your local beach would be better.

People stopped buying custom boards because production boards got so much better.
    They've come back in the market a bit since production kit got so very expensive. People forget to mention stuff like that.

There are other arguments, for and against:

I can see a strong argument for going to a custom builder to get a board shaped or reinforced to how you want it. And I can see you might prefer plain graphics or a white hull so you can repair damage more easily.
    But I'd also be tempted to ask why are you damaging kit so easily?
    If production boards were so disposable why do we get people like Big Wave Dave proudly claiming he's still on 2005 kit?

My current favourite board is a NuEvo – which is a custom style and shape from Nude designs (based in WA) that was put into production.
    After sailing the 80 litre version (which was not new when I bought it) I'd say it's very strong and still looks as new, 18months on. I quite like the idea that, if I did break it or if a truck ran over it, I could go and buy another one, exactly the same.

Custom boards are great when they are fine-tuned to specific needs and certain sailing conditions. In the long term you can develop a good relationship between you and a shaper to the point where you start to get the right sort of board for you – albeit perhaps after a few tries. You can also design your own graphics, and the whole process then feels like something special and more personal.
    But don't kid yourself.

I think people are either custom board types, or they're not.
    Last edited by basher; 24th October 2014 at 08:16 PM.
    Now back in the UK.