Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11
    Quote Originally Posted by Asle View Post
    I can not see why a mag like Surf Magazin will not do this. Do you read that mag?

http://www.surf-magazin.de
    I think Surf Magazin will be one of the least likely mags to do this, possibly not any mag. Brian McDowell found it interesting (he was just repairing his soft deck when I mentioned the idea) and he may have done something for his windsurfer international on line mag but shortly after he went to Windsurf and that probably took all his attention. Maybe there is someone on here who can do something like this with the help of others gathering info about lay ups. I allready had a student engineer on internship calculate some constructions to have a comparison.
    Bouke
    Witchcraft Windsurfing Fuerteventura

Quote Originally Posted by cheech View Post
    Duzzi,
    Fine I agree, I was stating my experiences, I have a 2007 RRD FSW which is still in good nick, but I have to be far more careful with it, its lasted well.
    I also have a 1999 custom slalom board which is far lighter, had obviously far more abuse and still looks fresher than the RRD.
    As you say it depends on construction quality, I think you have been unlucky with the custom houses you chose.
    Yes and a comparison of custom vs production is fairly moot. You can tell from some of the posts that builders (or at least some of them) do not measure the properties of their composites. It is trial and error. But by now pretty much everybody knows what to use. It is not rocket science. A windsurf is not a complex object to build and it is not subject to forces even remotely comparable to what goes on with other applications (think Airliners, F1 Cars, Open Ocean racing sailboats). Basic composite construction will do. You have 3-4 types of fibers, a couple of types of structural foams ... and any combination of those will work fine.

The rest is anecdote. My Carbon Art boards are an interesting example. The rumor on the Web was that Starboard was "imprecise" in construction and CA was superior because it was not made by Cobra (sounds familiar?). Reality was sort of the other way around. Possibly CA was producing ultra-light boards and it pushed it too far, while Starboard had a sturdier construction. Somebody mentioned Mike's lab and he is indeed a master builder. Beautiful boards that he can build anyway you like. Strength is a choice: he can do anything from one-season disposables to ever-lasting boards.
    Last edited by duzzi; 27th October 2014 at 03:06 PM.