Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    nice house with horses, cats dogs, and bride. USA
    not read ALL these, nor will I.

AFAIK W/C are either production.. thense a sort of custom with some details that can be altered. OR a custom, produced/built in different worlds.

I disagree that you need some expertise in what ..rocker..rail bottom shape...etc
    that you desire, you DO need to able to explain to the shaper what you are looking for, further they need to interpret what you said and place your thoughts on the board.

Mikes Labs boards in the USA are brilliant. Waiting list long, FSW or wave or rather few and far.

Flikka have been great to me, and will adapt variations, length , width et all to make the board .

MOO Custom is likewise the same and Jon is able to read your thoughts with uncanny ability.

You of course will find horror stories about customs that arent at all what you asked for, and may be light but fragile. The clue is do your research ..

some are so in line OR better price wise with current Cobra offering that I wonder why more customs arent sold

K4 Fins 4Boards TRI-sails Sailrepair

Quote Originally Posted by LeeDD View Post
    You guys all are missing the boat.
    If you continue to get catapulted by an expected gust of wind, you will break the nose off ANY board made by ANY make, custom or production, or custom-production. That 22 lbs rig slamming into the nose area of your board at 20+ mph will break any nose made by any maker.
    Totally disagree with this.
    I too was in the same position with a Fanatic I had, totally smashed the nose second time out as I was coming in tired and let go of the rig as I was stepping off the board, that was just the rig on its own.
    Custom board, flat out hooked in catapult resulted in a scuff to the paint on the nose, no damage what so ever.

I agree with Rod that you don't need to know a great deal about board design / shape. What really matters is that you tell the shaper exactly what you are looking for ( what type of sailing you like to do ), the conditions you sail in and your ability.

I've just ordered one, where one of their standard shapes would easily suit my ability, but for various other reasons the custom route was better for me.

A few things to consider:
    With production boards, easier to try before you buy, can pick up nearly new for half the cost, if you grow out of the board (gain weight, move house and sail in different spot, improve) are easier and quicker to sell.

Having said that, if you are someone who is hard on the board and regularly damages it then custom is the way to go. With Witchcraft you have the benefit of a solid construction (have you seen his hammer video) and if you choose on of their production boards, will also have a good resale value.

Quote Originally Posted by cheech View Post
    Totally disagree with this.
    I too was in the same position with a Fanatic I had, totally smashed the nose second time out as I was coming in tired and let go of the rig as I was stepping off the board, that was just the rig on its own.
    Custom board, flat out hooked in catapult resulted in a scuff to the paint on the nose, no damage what so ever.
    I may have been a faulty board. I have personally smacked the sail so hard onto the nose on some Cobra and other production boards that I was sure it would break but not a mark was left. It depends a lot on subtle details of the hit. This is the same with flat landing too. Quite often you may land so hard that you are sure the board will break. But on the instances the board actually breaks it does often not feel like a very hard landing (_because_ the board will take up most of the energy by the actual breakage). I'm just saying that by just viewing a single case, it's hard to pass judgement over a construction. In fact, actually looking into a broken board will generally tell you more about the construction and in particular if the copy of the board had some production errors.

That said, customs from reputable builders is certainly an interesting alternative. You can personalize both construction, shape and looks. The downside, as mentioned is that second hand prices tend to be lower and that it is more difficult to test or get reliable unbiased info about the particular shape before.
    Ola H.

Simmer Style Boards and Sails

LeeDD

There is no comparison with Witchcraft construction and anything else. I have dropped my board on rocks, sailed it - or rather been thrown - on to rock ledges and landed hard from big jumps. Bar a few scratches nothing happens.
    But
    You don't need to buy a witchcraft custom to get this. A production HDD will be the same build.
    http://forwards4cowards.blogspot.com/ a blog about looping

UPDATED Feb 2016

Hi Ola,
    That Fanatic may have been faulty, but I have seen many production boards get damaged too easily.
    I have never seen a damaged custom where I sail....

I cracked the nose of my HDD twice Rod. It was my own stupid fault, but it prooved nothing is indestructible.
    I just went back from a great custom (Flikka Quad) to a great production board (Goya Quad) and unlike in the past the board feel strong and solid, and you can,t dent it like with some former production boards.
    The try before you buy is in the favor of a production and sometimes none, to other times a week waiting period as well, but getting stuff tailormade including the print is a big bonus from a custom builder.
    IMO there is no really right or wrong in this otherwise on maybe difference in focus.
    188x92kg 43y old, Supper/Windsurfer.

Witchcraft Flextail 104l + Witchcraft V4 86l HDD

2016/17 Hotsails KS3: 5.5+5.2+4.9+4.6+4.0+3.4 Ultra + Kauli + CAAS masts, AL360+ TL cont@ct booms lots of fins.

SUP Starboard 2015 Airborne 8.8x31.5x123l / Pro8.5x29x112l / Race14x25 / 2012 AST Coastrunner 14x28 / Gong9.4x29x135 Freak