Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by basher View Post

My current favourite board is a NuEvo – which is a custom style and shape from Nude designs (based in WA) that was put into production.
    After sailing the 80 litre version (which was not new when I bought it) I'd say it's very strong and still looks as new, 18months on. I quite like the idea that, if I did break it or if a truck ran over it, I could go and buy another one, exactly the same.

Custom boards are great when they are fine-tuned to specific needs and certain sailing conditions. In the long term you can develop a good relationship between you and a shaper to the point where you start to get the right sort of board for you – albeit perhaps after a few tries. You can also design your own graphics, and the whole process then feels like something special and more personal.
    But don't kid yourself.

I think people are either custom board types, or they're not.
    so you sail a custom type ? but who is it custom built for ? koster at 190cm tall (6ft 2") and 90kg + or another star-board sailor with different weight and dimensions from you ?

you may be able to sail this board to a fashion as its designed for somebody physically different from you and not optimised for your dimensions or weight and you at 70kg ish it will be a very safe option but are you pushing the boards or your limit's on it ?

as stated above custom is not for everyone if you are worrying about re-sale value don't go custom
    if you wish to own a state of the art custom board built to your specification and keep it and learn to sail it properly putting you and the board near its limits then go custom you will not regret it

or you can keep sailing 10 year old kit or buying last years models at half price all are good options that get you on the water and enjoying yourself but if you have the money and the kids will still eat if you buy the board why not try it ?
    its what we do, we are a windsurfer's there are other ways to spend money but this is a special little bit of me money well spent it is not just about getting a fancy deck design or a colour to match a pair of shoes

Quote Originally Posted by mikerB View Post

I think first off you need to be reasonably knowledgeable about board design in order to be able to specify exactly what you want, the board will be fairly personal to you so may not have much appeal to anyone else if you ultimately want to sell it and of course you will not know exactly what the board will feel like until you have paid for it.

that's wrong the shaper will have an idea of what will suit you from an informal chat it's up to you how involved you become with the process of design and specification
    as long as your are totally honest with the shaper there shouldn't be an issue

ps..
    on the beaches i sail at locally there are more and more customs probably more than production models currently
    i saw a Killerfish from gran canaria one of the guys from manchester / yorkshire way brought back from pozo and that looked fantastic
    there are numerous Moo's / witchcrafts custom and production and some dlight's from medano

not sure what that says but it's a fact there are more around than ever before
    Last edited by Max_; 25th October 2014 at 02:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cheech View Post
    I have never seen a damaged custom where I sail....
    It all depends how the board is built. You can have egg-shell custom and bomb proof production. It is not magic: keep adding layers of fiber (any fiber, really) and you make a board more bombproof. (But then magazine test might complain that the board is heavy)

I personally had more luck with production than with custom. Some was self inflicted (my ultra light bottom Rogue Wave delaminated) and some was due to poor construction methods (Carbon Art). But you cannot generalize, my RRD 85 2008 seems rather immortal and I see many 2006-2009 around in the Bay Area, while my RRD 100 2010 seems clearly less sturdy (dah! it is the light carbon construction version), my starboards slalom have always been bombproof despite the occasional smack at 30 knots plus. Same for Starboard Acid or RRD hard core wave construction ...
    Last edited by duzzi; 25th October 2014 at 03:09 PM.

40 48'N 14 26'E -Western Med - West South Atlantic
    Isn't this discussion a bit futile?
    A custom board has the most potential to make it durable as multi-layered as you need, tailored to you and your special need for the particular conditions and spot. Plus you can have any graphics you want.

It makes sense specially when the price of some boards from stock is so high. Even though I don't think there is anyone that pays full retail price these days.

I has the potential to make you improve greatly in your spots.

It also has the potential to get you in a rut because it is tailored to what you describe you can do and can make your ability stale. You could loose the flexibility and adaptability required to jump from different shape/boards to different shape/boards when you don't have your custom with you and need to use something else.

Maybe when one travels a lot to many different places custom is less relevant, except if one focuses on tailored construction more than shape?

hmm! maybe it is not so futile a discussion...
    Last edited by Navegante; 25th October 2014 at 03:32 PM.

hum! yes crashing into rocks... rocks shouldn't be made so hard. Someone should fix that!!

Duzzi,
    Fine I agree, I was stating my experiences, I have a 2007 RRD FSW which is still in good nick, but I have to be far more careful with it, its lasted well.
    I also have a 1999 custom slalom board which is far lighter, had obviously far more abuse and still looks fresher than the RRD.
    As you say it depends on construction quality, I think you have been unlucky with the custom houses you chose.

Sheffield sailing wherever there's wind and waves
    Interesting point Navegante. I have always changed boards reasonably regularly and part of the reason has been to try something new and develop my sailing. With every new board I have owned I feel like my overall sailing has improved. This might have happened anyway but adjusting to different boards I think makes you a more all round sailor. It has also helped me to work out what type of wavesailor I want to be.

Now that I buy customs and have developed a good relationship with the shaper I think we both feel comfortable to explore new ideas together. Therefore I agree that going custom could put you in a rut (similar to if you buy the same production board all the time) but also custom has the potential to explore new ideas and be more deliberate about where you want to go with your sailing.
    Support British - Moo Custom, 5 Oceans and K4 fins

Quote Originally Posted by tjdodd View Post

Now that I buy customs and have developed a good relationship with the shaper I think we both feel comfortable to explore new ideas together. also custom has the potential to explore new ideas and be more deliberate about where you want to go with your sailing.
    this is the fundamental point of going custom. Having a shaper that is not afraid of exploring new frontiers for his particular customer.
    You are lucky.
    cheers

Ps: I read your article, lovely board. Precisely the type of general idea of what I would need if I ordered one. Some years ago I'd seen an AHD seal of those characteristics, haven't found one in the used market so started playing with the idea of having one made. I'm curious about the large black box that they came up with.