Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lightbulb The best 2015 freestyle sail

Almost all the 2015 freestyle sails are available on the market.
    I have compared some 4.8s in terms of weight and sizes (luff x boom), and have also written the proper mast for each sail.

Weight is really important for a freestyle sail. Severne (with the S1 sail) and North Sails (with the new Aero 2.0 mast) did a great work this year to reduce it.

It is also interesting to see how short is the Point7 Slash boom (149 cm for the 4.8). Does is it means that the sail is much easier to duck?

If any of you have tested one of those sails, please provide feedbacks about it.

Avanti Sails ECHO ME 4.8 - weight: 2.60 kg - luff: 412 cm - boom: 161 cm

400 Spine RDM100 - weight: 1.45 kg

Gaastra PURE 4.8 - weight: N.A. - luff: 408 cm - boom: 159 cm
    Gaastra 400 RMD100 - - weight: 1.45 kg

Hot Sails FREESTYLE PRO 4.8 (2014) - weight: 2.70 kg - luff 426 cm - boom 161 cm
    Hot Rod 400 RDM (2014) - weight: 1.45 kg

Neil Pryde WIZARD 4.8 - weight: 3.30 kg - luff 409 cm - boom: 160 cm
    Neil Pryde X100 RDM 400
    Maverx 1000 LTD 400 RDM
    Maverx Stilo 300 400 RDM - weight: 1.55 kg

North Sails IDOL 4.8 - weight: 2.90 kg - luff 410 cm - boom: 164 cm
    North Platinum AERO 2.0 400 RDM100 - weight: 1.05 kg
    North Platinum RDM100 - weight: 1.70 kg

Point7 SLASH 4.8 - weight: 3.10 kg - luff 398 - boom: 149 cm
    Point7 C100 RDM 370 - weight: 1.35 kg
    (Point7 C100 RDM 400 - weight: 1.50 kg)

RRD STYLE PRO 4.8 - luff: 408 - boom: 162 cm
    RRD 400 RDM100

Severne S1 PRO 4.8 - weight: 2.30 kg - luff: 403 - boom: 163 cm
    Severne 400 Ultralight RDM100 - weight: 1.30 kg

Severne FREEK 4.8 - weight: 3.00 kg - luff: 411 - boom: 161 cm
    Severne 400 Ultralight RDM100 - weight: 1.30 kg

I have only sailed the Avanti EchoMEs. To me that is a fantastic sail. I can not see how any freestylesail would be better.

Of all the others sails, without having tried them, I am tempted by the Severne Freeks.

Btw, my Avantis are the 4.4 and 5.2 and they are both lighter than Avanti says on their website.

Hi Asle - what masts do you use with your Avanti Echos? the questionable Unifiber chart had the 2013 Avanti RDM as constant curve then Gaastra like hard top in 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Asle View Post
    I have only sailed the Avanti EchoMEs. To me that is a fantastic sail. I can not see how any freestylesail would be better.

Of all the others sails, without having tried them, I am tempted by the Severne Freeks.

Btw, my Avantis are the 4.4 and 5.2 and they are both lighter than Avanti says on their website.

Quote Originally Posted by southsea View Post
    Hi Asle - what masts do you use with your Avanti Echos? the questionable Unifiber chart had the 2013 Avanti RDM as constant curve then Gaastra like hard top in 2014
    Nice review. But I do not agree on how much you are rating the Weight. For powermoves like burner, culo, double flaka and so on, it is way more important that the sail is easy to centrol neutral.

Quote Originally Posted by southsea View Post
    I use the Maverx Superleggero 370 in the 4.4 and 400 in the 5.2.

Quote Originally Posted by freestyle4975 View Post
    Nice review. But I do not agree on how much you are rating the Weight. For powermoves like burner, culo, double flaka and so on, it is way more important that the sail is easy to centrol neutral.
    You are right, it is also important how much the sail is easy to control. I heard that the Gaastra Pure is a really neutral sail, the NP Wizard has more power, and the Hot Sail is ligther.

I thought this was – and is – an interesting and helpful comparative list, but I wonder if you are going to concentrate on the sail weights then you probably ought to compare all-up rig weights.
    So, in addition to the sail weight, and the weight of the recommended mast, we could do with a boom weight too.
    I find boom weights for freestyle sails can weigh under 2kgs or they can weigh as much as 3kgs – so choosing a lighter boom might reduce the rig weight whilst still allowing you to use your preferred beefy-build sail.

In practice, what non-sponsored sailors do is to match up sails, masts, booms and extensions from different brands, either because of budget or because of availability – or simply because of preference. But you can reduce rig weight a lot by looking at each component of your rig, and not just the sail weight.

It's worth adding that there seems to be no correlation between freestyle heat results and rig weight.
    And no one brand stands out as THE sail to have for that discipline.

As has been said, issues like power delivery, and room to duck under the boom may be more the key issues for some people.
    Main boards: Flare 101, NuEvo 86, UltraKode 80, Reactor 82, NuEvo 73. Powered by Severne Blades and S1s.