Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Portsmouth Yardstick for Sailboards

We had Bas Edmonds of the RYA down at out sailing club at Hythe last night and we've formerly asked him to consider granting a yardstick to sailboards so that they can formerly race against dinghies, which could in theory open up all the big handicap events to board participation.

However in order to do this we need two other clubs to participate in the application and they should be clubs who submit returns, so this is a formal plea to any of you out there who do sail at a club and are in contact with the club committee to help me contact them in order to push this forward, it is something that has been denied us this many years and the last excuse they offered (the extreme difference between planing and none planing) has been crushed by the foiling moths who exhibit exactly the same characteristics.

They now have a very good computerised system that will work out the number you should be using based on the timing of yourself against the fleet.

So with any luck we can get separate yardsticks for Raceboard 85 as well as 95 and maybe Techno and RSX, my email is still graeme AT surf hyphen sales dot com or ring me via the office here, I'm happy to act as a central point in this, we may even manage to swing both our local clubs into this but to really make it happen we need a more Nationally based approach, so I need help.

Thanks

Graeme Fuller

I think one of the windsurfing companies has a Portsmouth Yardstick for sale in their "Black Friday" sale.

I presume you need RYA clubs for this? we have a bunch of results but the timing is very suspect across fleets. there are some moves afoot to maybe improve the timekeeping next year which if implemented would create a useful dataset, but we'll see. the workload is pretty hard on the volunteer race officers as it is.

how will the planning v non-planning be resolved? when we sail Konas v Lasers if the wind is light the speed is very comparable, if you can plane on enough of the course you will trounce them

Hi Graham,
    as you know I like building my own race boards and race at my local club at Porthpean sailing club in Cornwall. My board is normally quite quick around the course, using a Demon 9.5 race sail, and the handicap they have given me is 870, the same as a B14. Light or strong winds this seems to work quite well.
    Cant put picture on from this iPad but will try later.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	exorcist race board.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	11532
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    Hi Graham,
    as you know I like building my own race boards and race at my local club at Porthpean sailing club in Cornwall. My board is normally quite quick around the course, using a Demon 9.5 race sail, and the handicap they have given me is 870, the same as a B14. Light or strong winds this seems to work quite well.
    Cant put picture on from this iPad but will try later.

Hi Bruce, thanks for that, tell me are they submitting returns to the RYA? 870 sounds about right, we regularly race Raceboard 95s against a Musto Skiff which is similar so we'll also be there or thereabouts. Nice looking board should go well across the range..

Hi Bruce, are you the Chap that Jimmy Grooverider and I met at the NWF? Interesting board if you were, and nice to meet you.