Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Rotator Cuff Injury - How Risky ?

I'm after some advise I've been advised by my doctor that I have torn some of the rotator cuff muscles. He doesn't think it's to serious and can be treated with physio and potentially injections. My problem is that i fly to cape verde on Wednesday so the question is how risky is it to windsurf with this injury has anyone experienced this and still sailed ? For information i will be primarily blasting so no risk of wave injuries. My main concern is waterstarting/gybes/tacks etc as i think blasting in the straps wont cause much pain.

I don't know, but I'm curious as to how you injured the rotator cuff. Did it happen while windsurfing?
    (Or did it happen at the gym, e.g. while doing crossfit or performing the bench press.)

Yer sail on it , dont be a girly ,you only live once and its Cape Verde after all . DO IT

40 48'N 14 26'E -Western Med - West South Atlantic
    Movements that require lifting like when you carry a shopping bag will not be much of a problem. Going above the horizontal with your arm can be a problem and agravated the injury. Also bad is when you want to push down with your arm such as when you push down on the sail to make a camber click onto the mast.
    A catapult where you land with an outstretched arm is a killer and will set you back many months before recovery.
    Waterstarting is not good but it is the sail pulling your arm up rather than you pushing up with your shoulder. Pushing up is bad bad.
    The thing is that while you are windsurfing you will ignore any pain.
    Try to sleep with a pillow under your arm/armpit because in the night there is a time when your muscles relax and your arm will be sort of pulling by gravity on the torn area.

Ask your doctor. If he says no windsurfing then get onto your insurers to see if your holiday costs can be claimed back as the reason for your holiday is windsurfing and the doctor says no windsurfing. If you do go anyway and it stops you windsurfing, that's your holiday down the pan. If you can claim on your insurance you can spend the money going at some other time.
    The forecast looks ok for next Wednesday onwards, 15/16 knots.

Quote Originally Posted by phil_in_poole View Post
    Ask your doctor. If he says no windsurfing then get onto your insurers to see if your holiday costs can be claimed back as the reason for your holiday is windsurfing and the doctor says no windsurfing. If you do go anyway and it stops you windsurfing, that's your holiday down the pan. If you can claim on your insurance you can spend the money going at some other time.
    The forecast looks ok for next Wednesday onwards, 15/16 knots.
    Doctor sat on the fence tbh. Cancelling not an option as its a family holiday think I'll grit my teeth and play it by ear should know after one session if it's a problem was just curious if anyone else had the same experience. Thanks for all replies.

Quote Originally Posted by Harald View Post
    I don't know, but I'm curious as to how you injured the rotator cuff. Did it happen while windsurfing?
    (Or did it happen at the gym, e.g. while doing crossfit or performing the bench press.)
    Aggrevated it putting a shirt on believe it not and don't know when it originated but won't be windsurfing as I've not been out for months.