Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    I did mine lifting a heavy bag out of the back of the van whilst sitting facing forward in the driver's seat... easy to do, long time to fully recover and rather painful.

My physio did a lot of work on it, and I looked after it for a few months until it did get fully better, but it didn't stop me sailing, albeit very gently. Do avoid out of control dismounts if you can though. I did a bit of uncharacteristic, premature, hands-off bailing out for a while to save the injury from any further wrenching.

Did mine years ago painting, cutting in. Did nothing about it, it would come and go depending on the work I was doing. Windsurfing wasn't really a problem except for light gusty winds, pumping would just be agony the next day. However this year it got much worse and after one days sailing I had to drive all the way home in 3rd gear, lhd camper, very slow and a bitch when i stalled it but I couldn't move my shoulder to change gear. Two weeks later my wife found me sitting on a pile of 40 sheets of 12mm plasterboard with my head in my hands on the point of sobbing, had already put 60 up on a vaulted ceiling on my own but just couldn't carry on. She took me straight to my GP's, tried physio and steroid injections but neither worked so I'm booked in for arthroscopic acromioplasty with a bursectomy on the side in the New Year, can't wait. Worried about how long I'll be of work for but more worried about how long I'll be off the water for?
    However if it's windy on Sunday I'll be out.

Sure it's the rotator cuff? Reason I ask is you say you just put on a shirt. I have suffered two frozen shoulders (google it if you want, it's got to do with the joint getting sticky or something). First noticed when getting dressed. Like pushing an arm up and into the sleeve of a wetsuit. Third time similar symtoms appeared (not long ago) I saw what was coming and started streching my shoulder, like forcing all those movements that hurt the most. In a week it was gone. Used to take many months in big pains. I bet you have something else, but thought I should mention the possibility. I believe that in my case it may have had something to do with sailing and shifting in winter because last time it happened I had just been freezing badly due to some heavy rains that had kept me waiting too long in my wetsuit on the beach doing nothing. Worst thing you can to to a shoulder that's about to freeze is resting it. It's like glue.

By the way, being an older sailor in a colder country has made me see the importance of staying warm. Half the year I will be covered in wool - even indoors - like that costly but very comfortable sports gear with synthetic linings. Wife not thinking it stylish.
    Last edited by boards_Tomas; 12th December 2014 at 08:50 PM.

How did everybody get on with their rotator cuff injuries?

I did my left shoulder at the end of November. I sailed 2 days in a row very over powered (changed sail once then couldn't be bother to change again). Towards the end of the second day sailing at Worthing in quite meaty waves, I got wiped out by a big wave and had a frantic 10 minute swim to try and catch my gear before it was smashed up in the shore break. I called it a day and drove home with no pain but it's been painful lying down pretty much ever since. After a few days I booked a doctors appointment (a week hence) but it then seemed to get better so cancelled it. Of course it then got worse again! I have now seen the Doc who says it probably is a rotator cuff injury but not bad enough for a tear and is referring me for physio.

I've sailed twice since, on New years eve which was a comfortable sail in great waves with no adverse effects and then again this Monday in even better waves but a bit overpowered and very gusty which does seem to have made it worse.

Should I stop sailing for a couple of months? Sailing is no problem it's just the after effects and it's definitely effecting my sleeping.

I would stop sailing for a period of time but use that time to get it properly fixed.

I had problems from my early 30's and it just built over a 10 year period taking longer to heal itself each time until eventually it stopped healing and would n't go away.

In my case I avoided surgery but resolving it took a visit to a consultant, X rays. a steroid injection followed by intensive daily physio. In my case an initial trauma caused the rotator cuffs to be damaged, then once inflamed, bone spurs on my shoulder kept aggravating it meaning it just would n't repair and go away itself. Being beyond 40 the consultant gave me 50/50 at best of avoiding surgery but being very regimented about the physio I believe got it sorted.

8 years on it is fine, occasionally I have to go back to some of the physio exercises if I feel it flaring up. To keep it under control I avoid certain activities e.g. racket sports of any kind.

Once you have this issue, I think you have to come up with a plan of how to manage it, it will just get worse each time with the passage of time but you can be pro-active and nip it in the bud each time it shows signs of flaring up but you have to get it sorted to an acceptable baseline first.
    Last edited by Keema Naan; 18th January 2018 at 01:39 PM.

My advice is get to the Physio

i’ve had lots of problems and throughly recommend it, my physio Windsurf’s so understands what we need, He is based in Chichester I will give you details if you want

Steve

Is he a private physio or NHS? Chichester's a bit far to go from Tooting! I may look at a sports injury clinic if I have to wait too long for the NHS.