Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    I really suffer with thirst on the water, probably due to the amount of times I fall in & get a mouthful of sea water. So I always use a hydration pack.

It's funny to see you mention countersteering on motorbikes Tomas; it's amazing how many people don't believe that, even when they ride themselves. I've had to prove it to a couple of people by taking them out on the back, taking my hands off the bars then pushing one side with an open palm.

bman18 - lose, lose, lose not loose, loose, loose

Quote Originally Posted by Radialhead View Post
    bman18 - lose, lose, lose not loose, loose, loose
    Radialhead, you sound like the missus!!! But thxs anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Silicon Beach View Post
    and I'm probably "stuck on a plateau"
    SB, I imagine that soon that will be a good thing!
    I can still progress slowly in my windsurfing, but I'm mentally preparing myself for the day that being able to stay on a plateau is the best I can do.

Quote Originally Posted by bman18 View Post
    I start to refuse to go through my knees in the turns when getting tired. You can basically read my state of exhaustion from the amount of flex in my knees, with no flex meaning that I'm done for the day.
    Another thing I still struggle with (stupid as it is) is hydration. Especially a place like Pozo where I hate coming in and going out, I tend to dehydrate quite strong. One remedy I'm trying the last couple of months is to take a glop of seawater each hour, starting when going in. This is supposed to keep your salts and minerals a bit better in balance.
    I have seen two windsurfers and a few SUPers who use a camelback in Lanzarote to keep hydrated. I have it on my list of things to try out.

One of the guys is obsessed with backloops and his camelback seems to survive repeated back first landings.
    Powered by..Juice Boardsports

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    I have seen two windsurfers and a few SUPers who use a camelback in Lanzarote to keep hydrated.
    Dakine has a "specialized" waterpack which I have, but haven't used yet

Firstly dehydration occurs when you exercise hard even in cold conditions albeit it may be less noticeable so I ensure I have drunk a fair bit of water before getting on the water. Using any form of energy drink containing sugar or caffeine can be counter productive....plain water being the best fluid to take on board.

Second, whether you go ashore or not, taking a break occasionally helps to ensure you are tuned into the conditions because it gives a little time for reflection. This can be most effective, the first short break you take after sailing for maybe no more than 10 minutes..........when you go back out it is amazing how much easier everything seems.

Third, never accept a poor set up. If things don't feel right, then they are not right and on slalom gear it is easy to destroy yourself inside 5 minutes if you are having to wrestle the gear.. It is easy to make the decision to stick with it rather than go back and re set or even change your gear but usually if you try to stick with it, you end up knackering yourself far too early.

Last, your body needs enough fuel to maintain energy, and that largely depends on the slow release carbs you took on board the day before rather than short fix energy supplements just before you go on the water.

ps on a MTB you should always push the bars...not pull.....that why its called a push bike!!! Probably the same on a motorbike???

Quote Originally Posted by bman18 View Post
    Dakine has a "specialized" waterpack which I have, but haven't used yet
    I look forward to hearing how you get on, I expect you will get to it before I try :-)