Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 22 ... LastLast
    I see you haven't changed, LOL.

I was actually going to change to HSM KS3s. But I bought one, and soon realised they weren't the right sail for my local conditions.
    Now back in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by basher View Post
    I was actually going to change to HSM KS3s. But I bought one, and soon realised they weren't the right sail for my local conditions.
    3 batten sails are all very different in design

tested the Severne S-3 in Podersdorf and just two days ago changed to the 5.0 as my biggest sail - impressive lightwind power on the lake and should also work in waves

edit: and surprisingly stable - can be trimmed flat and was still easy in 6bft
    Last edited by chrispavlo; 1st May 2015 at 09:58 AM.

Glad you like your new sail. I haven't seen the S3.

The KS3 are basically soft wave sails. As such, they are best for riding in cross to cross off conditions. That doesn't mean you can't use them on flat water – it just means that's not what they were designed for or what they are best at.

A lot of 3 batten sails are about recreating the classic soft sail – the Ezzy Taka2 is another obvious example. But we are in the wrong thread here, so I'll shut up now.

I'm hoping however, that all the stuff I've written about sails recently helps people to better understand the differences between sails, and to see why you have to look beyond the batten numbers.
    Now back in the UK.

I was just curious about it because you often seem a big fan of Tush while I never read a lot about your opinion about Severne , but its always good to (try at least) stay open minded in live.

write-up: I agree with most of it.
    5.0 weather is 5.0 weather although a sail that suit you really well over just a good sail can make your day even more fun.
    Not sure about your opinion about the KS3 being a cross to cross of sails. I personally think that most sails are very usable in all conditions and that the feel/power suply (searching for the right english word here) you prever in a sail is way more important than in what kind of conditions you sail it. IMO all sails are pretty all rounders nowadays with just different characters.
    The Blade for example is great in blasting back and forth and onshore jumping, but in onshore frontside riding I get more pull out of the top turn as I like.
    The KS3 planes probably a tad later, but still pretty quick, sails a slightly less high angle to the wind, but the better handling make my wave riding in onshore and side-onshore conditions a lot better.
    What I really do about Severne is that they made a complete really sweet rig with there Enigma boom, superlight masts, great extensions and Pro sails.
    I wrote it before, but imo they are the new top dog.
    Last edited by Jeroensurf; 1st May 2015 at 02:57 PM.
    188x92kg 43y old, Supper/Windsurfer.

Witchcraft Flextail 104l + Witchcraft V4 86l HDD

2016/17 Hotsails KS3: 5.5+5.2+4.9+4.6+4.0+3.4 Ultra + Kauli + CAAS masts, AL360+ TL cont@ct booms lots of fins.

SUP Starboard 2015 Airborne 8.8x31.5x123l / Pro8.5x29x112l / Race14x25 / 2012 AST Coastrunner 14x28 / Gong9.4x29x135 Freak

I use standard blades and today one of the guys from the Severne Loft let me use a 2016 blade pro for the afternoon, what can I say.... WOW!
    Unfortunately it wasn't a usual sunny seabreeze day and there was no swell. The conditions were light and gusty. I was going to use my 5.7 with and 85l board, board I'm about 86 kg and I was offered a 5.3 pro it's supposed to rig on a 400 but I rigged it on my 430.
    With in the first 400 metres I wanted one. I couldnt notice the weight difference carrying it to the water or sailing along.
    As soon as I hopped on and sheeted in I could feel the sails pull, my standard 5.3 seems to be a more gradual pull. This sail feels like the sail almost isn't there, as in there's no rapid movements or noises of the sail eg leach movement, it's just smooth and quiet and very balanced, it gybed nicely, in the batten rotation during the gybes there was no loud noise or forceful movement just smooth and quiet and rapid acceleration. Oh it rigged fine on a 430 . Would I like s quiver, hell yeah! Can I outlay the cash no. But next year I'll seriously consider replacing my largest 5.7 blade with a 5.7 blade pro. Very tempting to replace my most used sail a 5.3 as well.

Five week's later and I've just bought a 2016 5.7 blade pro to replace my current 2016 standard blade. Absolutely stoked to have this as my big sail.

I got my hands on a 2015 5.3 Blade Pro and sailed it in very onshore conditions and was amazed at this sail.

It rigged sweet on 400 RDM with 28cm extension and I set it quite flat and down hauled for the powered up conditions. As soon as I took off I could feel this sail was different... It is amazingly light and the more I sailed it the more I liked it. It is not like any sail I have had before and feels different to the standard Severne Blades. It actually feel more like the S-1 that I used to have as the power feels higher in the rig.

It doesn't luff - it's like a 3D printed foil and the leech doesn't flutter even though I had a fair bit of downhaul on.

It doesn't seem to get overpowered - just goes faster. It is so stable - at the top end it just gives accelerates and gives only a slight bit of extra back hand pressure - at the bottom end it just seems to quickly generate lift.

It is like being towed around by some omnipresent force rather than a sail! Awesome sail! I reckon Severne are on to something :-)
    Last edited by Stev-0; 7th June 2016 at 11:00 AM.