Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
    Dear southsea: Did you find an answer to your question just above comparing S1 and S1 Pro?

the S-1 Pro got a very direct feel and a wide windrange - for the S-1 in panelled technology i just know until the 2014 version and the feeling is a bit softer, but very springy reflex - the 2017 version is very different from both and could be seen as the successor of the S-3 2016, very light manoeverability in sideoff conditions - the S-1 is more allround IMHO.

Hi Domwave - Please see the post above for the reason i included 'Does anyone have an actual (not theoretical :-)' in my post.......nope haven't had any feedback as yet of the the pro to standard in the same years for the S1

Quote Originally Posted by southsea View Post
    Hi Domwave - Please see the post above for the reason i included 'Does anyone have an actual (not theoretical :-)' in my post.......nope haven't had any feedback as yet of the the pro to standard in the same years for the S1
    Thank you, southsea, I just have thought you might have received some actual information outside of this forum in the meantime ... (e.g. talking to somebody, own experience etc)
    Kode Wave 82 (2014), Fanatic Triwave 89 (2017), F2 Rebel 75 (2009), F2 Guerilla 84 (2007), Skate 108, powered by Severne S-1 and S-1 Pro
    80 kg, 180 cm

When a thread is as old as this you can lose track of what has been said, and asking a question might involve repetition in the answer.

I can't remember what I have already written in this thread or in previous ones on the Severne wave sails, but I can say what I think now, as I have been using Severne pro Blades for nearly two years and I have two 2016 Pro S1s as well.

I also have some standard Blades and standard S1s from 2015 and 2016.

So here's an overview which others may agree or disagree with. The performance of your sail will also vary with the mast you are using and how you set it. My Severnes are set on 100% or 90% carbon Severne masts. You can tune the sails for power differences solely on outhaul, but I often tweak the downhaul as well if I want to maximise the sail power range, or to change the pull.

The differences between the Pro Blade and the standard Blade become clear as soon as you see and use one. The Pro Blade is a fuller-cut, more gutsy sail, and perhaps better for onshore conditions. Whereas the standard Blade has a much floppier leach, giving it a better top end which helps de-power the sail when sailing in cross to cross-off conditions. The Standard Blade sets slightly flatter on the beach, perhaps with more rotation.
    Blades have very high boom cutouts.

The S1 obviously has one batten less and is more a wave riding sail with a compact plan/layout and power focus which is good for wave riding. It is a stable sail and still forward-pulling, but not as forward-pulling as the Blades are. You can blast about and jump with both sails, but some will tell you that 5 battens are better for jumping than 4.

The cut of the Pro and standard versions varies, and the standard S1 has itself changed its panel layout again for 2017 since my 2016 version.
    The S1 pro sails feel very powerful to the point where I rig a 4.8 when others would rig, say a 5m or 5.2. The Standard S1s also have this powerful feel, but less marked than the pro version.

The Pro version of both these sails are luxury items, in terms of the expensive cloth used and their price tag, but mine have been surprisingly durable too.
    The standard S1 is Severne's cheaper wavesail of the four being discussed here, and I would happily have a quiver of just those, especially now they have the convertible boom batten.
    I enjoy the incredibly light rig you can have with the Pro versions of these sails, but weight isn't that much of a problem when you are talking about wave sails of 5m or less. The lighter weight only really helps when you are chucking the rig about so perhaps get a lighter mast and boom first. The rig component lightness does help when you are packing a bag to an airline weight limit for travel.

I can't think what else to say unless someone has a specific question not answered here. The differences in feel of a sail are very subjective anyway, and that's what we are mostly talking about here.
    Last edited by basher; 24th January 2017 at 03:12 PM.
    Now back in the UK.

So far, I have well used and still predominantly use the 5 Batten S1 (2011 - 4.0 and 5.3; 2012 - 4.7) which I love and am used to since 2008. I did not really get used to the 2014 S1 in 4.4. The only S1-Pro (2015) in 5.6 is really light and was a useful and good choice.

Now, I am thinking about to change this quiver with one of those three sets (in its central sizes):

(a) S1 Pro 2016 in 4.4, 4.8 and 5.2
    (b) try Blade Pro 2016 in 4.2, 4.7 and 5.3 (easier flight's with at least one less sail)
    (c) try the popular Standard Blades in 4.2, 4.7 and 5.3 (e.g. 2016)

However I think it is fair to open a new thread (Severne S1 Pro (~2016) compared to Blade (Pro ~ 2016) and 5 batten S1 (until 2012)) as it is to be considered as a new question and I do not want to hijack somebody elses thread.
    Kode Wave 82 (2014), Fanatic Triwave 89 (2017), F2 Rebel 75 (2009), F2 Guerilla 84 (2007), Skate 108, powered by Severne S-1 and S-1 Pro
    80 kg, 180 cm

Are there more people who have experience with the durability of the pro versions? Is it really stronger and more durable? The monofilm window seems easy to replace when necessary.
    What's the difference with the avanti sails? Looks like the same technology.