Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
    basher, did you decide for the standard Blades, and why?

The Boardseeker review suggests the pro version is very different sail, and they will be publishing an article about that soon.

I guess the pro version of the Blade was developed for Koster and it's known he likes a powerful rig for his style of sailing and for the cross on conditions he gets in the Canaries.

So, reading between the lines, I'd speculate that the standard Blade sail is a more neutral sail, depowering in the air and on the wave well.

I went for the standard Blades because of the reviews, because they were cheaper, and because I have sailed them and have also spoken to others who already own them. The weight difference between the two versions is actually not that huge – sometimes just 200grams.
    I also liked the red and yellow.

(But the main reason I changed to Severne was the batten tensioner key which is also a bottle opener.)

I'm tempted by an S1 pro in the 5.6 size as my biggest rig – with the pro version weight down at 2.5kgs – but it is SO expensive. The 2014 version is still available and the shop is quoting a much more reasonable price for it – with the 5.6 weighing just 3kgs, so that's still pretty good.

I already have a lightweight 4m mast to go with it, meaning I could get the whole rig weight down to under 7kgs.

I don't think the sail or rig weight is so critical when it's say 4m or 4.7 weather, but when conditions are marginal and you are on a 5.3 or bigger, then the weight saving is helpful – as long as the sail is still up to the job.
    Last edited by basher; 22nd March 2015 at 08:34 PM.
    Now back in the UK.

interesting, had a thought to buy a third sail above my S-1 4.8 Pro
    but still not decided if i really need it (the 4.8 is just slightly behind in early planing compared to last years 5.0).

regarding the Pro models i especially like the symmetrical batten pockets.

I see the 2014 version of the S1 had/has a higher window.
    Now back in the UK.

yes, i think Ben wanted to keep the window of the S-1 Pro small for a better definition of the Hyper Spider tension.

40 48'N 14 26'E -Western Med - West South Atlantic
    Quote Originally Posted by chrispavlo View Post
    you don't like comix arts?
    More like red light district looks
    Last edited by Navegante; 22nd March 2015 at 10:22 PM.

40 48'N 14 26'E -Western Med - West South Atlantic
    Quote Originally Posted by basher View Post
    The Boardseeker review suggests the pro version is very different sail, and they will be publishing an article about that soon.

I guess the pro version of the Blade was developed for Koster and it's known he likes a powerful rig for his style of sailing and for the cross on conditions he gets in the Canaries.

I also liked the red and yellow.

(But the main reason I changed to Severne was the batten tensioner key which is also a bottle opener.)

I would have gladly sent you a couple of those batten tensioners, every time I open a gear bag pocket I find another one and they are useless to open my brunellos.
    These Aussies could do something classy like a tensioner that has a corkscrew with the 5mm key hidden inside...

I think you are possibly right in your idea about the power of the Pro model. That may be a reason why they only go up to 5.7 (?) and there are less sizes in the range.