Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Navegante View Post
    I think you are possibly right in your idea about the power of the Pro model. That may be a reason why they only go up to 5.7 (?) and there are less sizes in the range.
    nah, the reason is that they were new introduced to the market and with a high pricetag, so not for the mass but more for enthusiastic waveriders.

It'll be interesting to hear what Boardseeker say in their article.

Their 'clones' all allegedly preferred the standard Blade over the pro version, and there have already been suggestions that the pro version is a very different sail. Then there were separate hints about the need for a sail for those who want to jump high?
    I read that as the pro version being developed for Koster.

The pro versions in the Blade and S1 also test the market, seeing what people will pay for hi-end sails that are 2-400grams lighter per size than even the light production models.

As I have already said many times, I can't see the point of weight saving in smaller sizes – where control and sail stability is more important than material weight. Pared-down sails can end up very minimalist in sizes where you want them robust and where early planing advantages don't really apply. (Although I suppose you could argue that lighter wave sails will get you on a plane with a board and three sail sizes in one bag – at a time when airlines are making kit transport more difficult.)

For sure, in bigger sizes, then lighter sails make total sense, especially in the pro-active/chuckabout windsurfing disciplines of freestyle and wave sailing.

I'm guessing the Blade pro range will not be available in many sizes as only the key wave sail sizes will sell.
    If, like me, you actually cost up what you are buying, then you also have to watch that getting an extra size sail may then mean you need another mast – and these Pro sails are top dollar, and so are the masts to match them. If I buy a 5.6 it will only be if it will fit on the 4m mast I already have.
    (Hands up which wave sailor or freestyler owns a 430 mast nowadays?)
    Last edited by basher; 22nd March 2015 at 11:27 PM.
    Now back in the UK.

oh.. that hurts! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FB_IMG_1427121983315.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	99.5 KB 
ID:	11715Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FB_IMG_1427122021008.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	106.9 KB 
ID:	11716

Quote Originally Posted by basher View Post

I've been thinking about this a bit more, because I fancy a bigger sail to complete my new quiver (while I still have some money left!).

I already have 4, 4.5 and 5m Blades, but am wondering about a bigger wave size, either the 5.3 or a 5.5.

The Blade 5.5 in theory needs a 430 mast but it should also set on a 4m mast (which I have).

The alternative is the 5.3 Pro model in the Blade, or even a 5.6 in the S1 Pro.

Which of those options would you go for, ignoring the price?

I don't want to buy a 430 mast. If it's 5.3 or 5.5 weather for me, that usually means flat water or bump and jump. The Blade 5.5 weighs 3.4kgs whereas the Blade pro 5.3 weighs 2.8kgs.
    The S1 pro 5.6 weighs a remarkable 2.5kgs – but it's less of a blasting sail than the more all-round Blade. I guess the attraction of the S1 is that you could get the total rig weight down to under 7kgs, and a 5.6 is that much bigger for those marginal waveboard days. But is the Blade pro 5.3 just as powerful?
    Does anyone know?
    Last edited by basher; 24th March 2015 at 06:55 PM.
    Now back in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by basher View Post
    I already have 4, 4.5 and 5m Blades, but am wondering about a bigger wave size, either the 5.3 or a 5.5.

The Blade 5.5 in theory needs a 430 mast but it should also set on a 4m mast (which I have).

The alternative is the 5.3 Pro model in the Blade, or even a 5.6 in the S1 Pro.

Which of those options would you go for, ignoring the price?
    my logic would say the Blade 5.5 , if the 32cm extension is acceptable for you.

- similar characteristics to the smaller sized sails
    - you're lightweight, so a 400rdm should still be ok
    - for the Blade 5.3 you'd need the same amount of extension

IMHO the only reason to go for the 5.3 size instead could be that the 5.5 would get too big for your main spot and the 5.3 would be a better size for radical handling in waves.
    e.g some guys sailing Hookipa told that their main sizes were 5.0 and 5.3 there (5 batten aera).

Yes, that was my thinking on the sizing too.
    Some people would say: why have a 5.0 and a 5.3? – and the answer is that it's nice having that option, as the smaller sail will always feel more chuckabout on the waveboard, but sometimes you just need a bit more power and a 5.3 feels less cumbersome than a 5.5. That's about sail area and boom length as much as it's about sail cloth weight.

(I've never liked 5.7s.)

It would be nice to have some real world feedback about the 5.3 pro model though. How is it different from the standard Blade (beyond the obvious price tag hike, and the 0.6kg weight reduction)?
    Now back in the UK.