Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
    and why is the luff length of the Blade 5.3 Pro specified 426cm compared to the 432cm of the same size standard model?

and message to the testclones (Adrian?):
    it was unfair to give the statement that the whole testteam prefered the standard Blade, without giving any glue why!
    a lot of water went already down the river danube since and some already plan ahead for the 2016 models that will be available in about half a year...

40 48'N 14 26'E -Western Med - West South Atlantic
    The Blade is a powerful sail, you must have experienced that already.
    I have the 4.7 and the 5.3. the 5.3 has a lot of range then I pass to a Gator 5.5
    which is a bit more springy than the blade but feels about the same power delivery.

I'd go for the 5.5 blade.

the 5.6 s-1 may feel like a blade 5.3

anyway they don't feel big.

Or go for the largest that allows you to rig on a 400

The price difference alone is indeed leading me to the standard Blade 5.5.

But, with reference to our earlier conversation here, I just wondered of the Blade Pro might be more gutsy, and so the 5.3 Pro might in this case end up with the same power as a standard Blade 5.5 , whilst being lighter and a better fit on a 4m mast.

And I'm secretly excited by the idea of a sail that weighs just 2.8kgs in a 5.3 – even though I know that the way a sail feels in the hands is something else.

But: Sail 2.8kgs + Mast 1.3kgs + boom 2kgs + extension 0.5kgs = 6.6kgs rig total (plus harness lines). That's gotta be great for marginal winds and for pumping etc.
    Now back in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by basher View Post
    And I'm secretly excited by the idea of a sail that weighs just 2.8kgs in a 5.3 – even though I know that the way a sail feels in the hands is something else.

But: Sail 2.8kgs + Mast 1.3kgs + boom 2kgs + extension 0.5kgs = 6.6kgs rig total (plus harness lines). That's gotta be great for marginal winds and for pumping etc.
    are you really excited? why now?

No I'm not really excited, beyond the thrill of getting new toys. But I am struggling in making a decision – because there is too much choice!
    I've also been on a bit of a journey in trying out new sails over the past two years to get to this point. The three batten experiment proved to be a cul de sac for me – in terms of my own sailing spots.

Sail weights have come down with several brands over the past few years as newer hi tech cloths have gone into mass production, bringing the costs down. The recent sail cloth changes with Tushingham brought sail weight down but made no real handling difference with my Tushingham Rocks, and I actually think it's a myth that lighter sails feel lighter in the hands. I guess any benefit is incremental.
    I can rig my Rocks so they feel light in the hands – or I can make them feel more grunty. Most of the time, rig weight is mostly carried by the mast foot. Once sailing along, we're in a neutral-weight cruise mode. In a well-executed turn, the rig weight simply pivots effortlessly around a fulcrum point.

But where the rig dead weight does come into it is with bigger size sails and in non-planing or in marginal planing situations, and hence the discussion here – about the largest size for this new quiver.

The discussion started on my local beach a few weeks back – when it was last windy. One friend, who changed to Severne Blades from Ezzies last year, was extolling the virtues of his 5.7 which is now his biggest sail. – Saying that the Blade 5.7 had more power than the Ezzy 6.2 and was/is a kilo lighter, plus it has lighter handling and also offers a great top end.

I'm not sure we need ignite the old sail weight discussion again, but anyone looking to making their rig lighter should look at the mast first. And then check your boom weight – as they tend to be way heavier than assumed.
    I came into a bit of windfall money, so I'm treating myself to a new quiver of sails, and it seems worth trying to get the biggest size as light as possible.
    Once you are down to sail sizes that fit on a 370 mast the rig weight is far less noticeable or critical – except perhaps when it comes to getting a whole quiver of sails on a plane, given the new tighter airline regulations often found. My recent changes to my quiver, in terms of sail sizes and masts used, and now with sail brand change, are largely down to creating a better – and minimalist – travel quiver.
    Last edited by basher; 24th March 2015 at 11:44 PM.
    Now back in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by basher View Post
    Once you are down to sail sizes that fit on a 370 mast the rig weight is far less noticeable or critical
    hm.. i built my sail quiver of 2-3 sails solely on 370rdm's and my S-1 4.8 Pro definitely feels lighter both on the water and on land compared to last years 'standard' materials.

40 48'N 14 26'E -Western Med - West South Atlantic
    Have you tried the Starboard forum. I seem to remember there was a thread about Blades, 5.3 or 5.7 sizes.