Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    isn't it still true that the best wave allround size = around body weight
    and for a lightwind waveboard you add 10-15 liters?

Quote Originally Posted by chrispavlo View Post
    isn't it still true that the best wave allround size = around body weight
    and for a lightwind waveboard you add 10-15 liters?
    Perhaps Chris. But if I'm not totally wrong about the changing volume/weight ratio, that would imply that we should now accept or even want wider boards. So what do you think?
    The infamous wavewriter

Quote Originally Posted by Northy View Post
    ..i wonder how many people outside places like W France, Portugal and West UK actually get to do float n ride..

No idea but I guess surfers know a lot more about how often good swell comes with no wind, just a little, or way too much. Whenever I have seen good groundswell (not very often) it has mostly been way to little wind to even consider going out on a ws. Apparently the lack of opportunities for riding quality waves on a windsurfer has turned a few people into surfers only.
    Last edited by boards_Tomas; 7th January 2015 at 11:52 PM.
    The infamous wavewriter

Im still trying to find that special board for that provides sufficient width for float and my crap technique when there is no / gusty wind.... yet the tail and width still allows easy DTL turning better than say a Sup equivalent.
    My review of the 87L Black Box might be of interest?...

A few weeks back myself and a friend put three boards next to each other - fanatic triwave 103, starby quad 100 and Witchy i think was 98.
    Was really interesting to see the totally different plans and rails and rockers....and all within 5 liters.
    The starby 100 was the narrowest and looked tiny compared to the others. The Witchy the widest. The triwave the thickest.

Im still trying to find that special board for that provides sufficient width for float and my crap technique when there is no / gusty wind.... yet the tail and width still allows easy DTL turning better than say a Sup equivalent.

i need to go to Ola's board design school to get the skinny!

(sfunny when i see people here posting pictures of their flaot and ride boards and it looks pretty windy to me...i wonder how many people outside places like W France, Portugal and West UK actually get to do float n ride...im really not being a snob - i wish we got more wind...im just not sure it happens on Sth coast for example?)
    A very inexpert opinion, but I found a big (+20 litres as a rough guide) Witchy Wave v3 was way better for up-haul-float-and-try-to-ride than any of the others I tried in PSC, including windSUPs. It might just have been my familiarity, or relatively small size, that made it seem better, but worth serious consideration, especially if you can get a custom for your conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by boards_Tomas View Post
    Perhaps Chris. But if I'm not totally wrong about the changing volume/weight ratio, that would imply that we should now accept or even want wider boards. So what do you think?
    for myself i would consider the maximum width at around 58-59cm
    and Volume not much above 90l for my 80kg weight.
    edit - that would be a shape like the NuEvo 92 for example:
    http://www.star-board-windsurfing.co...s/boards/nuevo

my current one-board-does-it-all solution is the modded quatro
    with estimated 78l volume and a width of 56.2cm.
    uphauling still possible, but need a bit of wind (2-3Bft)
    to stay on the board - otherwise swimming..
    http://youtu.be/l2eXGR83k44

here an example of slog-and-ride on a 86l Twinfin -
    In memory of Mikey Clancy (IR-253):
    http://youtu.be/9F7Qxp4hY8s
    edit - width above 60cm, though:
    Length: 234 cm
    Width: 60.5 cm
    Volume: 86
    http://www.star-board.com/2012/produ...anada-may-2011
    Last edited by chrispavlo; 10th January 2015 at 10:38 AM. Reason: comment

I find that I'm slowly warming to the idea of buying a kode wave 82 with us box in the middle and slot sides. Nominally it's four litres smaller than the newwave twin 86. But it's one centimeter wider at max and - probably more important - looks to be quite a bit wider between the straps and with less of a pin in the tail. Plus it is described as very early planing and can be converted to a single if needed (I have a powerful drake natural 23 sitting unused in a drawer.).

Do people in the know believe it would get me and keep me planing and upwind significantly earlier/easier than the newwave twin 86? And could the (pintailed) newwave perhaps be a logical "change down" in bigger or more sideshore waves or in stronger winds, or would it be obsolete?

PS I'm looking at a new kode wave 82 from 2014 but could also preorder a 2015 in 82 or (60.5 wide) 87 litres. Should I expect the 2015 models to be a significant upgrade?
    Last edited by boards_Tomas; 10th January 2015 at 03:34 PM.