Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Quote Originally Posted by boards_Tomas View Post
    It's a 09 freewave 86. It planes early with a 5.7 and 27 fin, and with just a bit more wind I can use a 23 fin and turn quite tight by fsw standards.

What I'm really after is a board for 5.0 and stronger winds that planes and gets upwind more easily than the newwave 86 seems to do. But it seems strange to substitute a 82 litre for a 86 for better light wind performance. And even stranger to keep the 86 as a stronger wind/bigger wave boards. Thus all these silly questions. Don't blame me though. It's that new sinkier - or was it wider - waveboard trend that has me totally confused.

I allways carry two boards to the beach. No more no less. So it would be freewave plus kode wave, or kode wave plus newwave. An alternative could be to get a kode wave 87 and retire the freewave. But I would then probably have to upfin the 87 all the time and still miss out on a few marginal but decent b&j days.
    Why don't you use the freewave 86 with 5m when the conditions ask for good upwind and planing ability? Then you don't need the Kode...

I'm not sure the Kode 87 will plane as early as the fanatic FW 86, especially with 5.7. Their rockers are quite different.

The recent 85 litre wave board test in Windsurf Magazine seems to confirm - as have already been commented by many people above - that there is no simple answer to the question of whether waveboards are getting sinkier or wider. The average volume/widths for the seven tested boards are 84/57.8.

The test also shows a significant variation in volumes (81 to 88) and widths (56.5 to 58.5). And they make a point of the fact that the earliest planers are the highest volume board (rrd hardcore wave v5 at 88 litres) and the lowest (fanatic triwave 81).

One could of course ask whether all these boards naturally belongs to "the same group" but such a question probably has no good answer. We simply have to conclude that it's now very complicated.

@ Chris and Nico: Thank you for trying to help but I don't really need more boards and don't really even know what I want. Perhaps in another thread...
    Last edited by boards_Tomas; 17th January 2015 at 01:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by boards_Tomas View Post
    @ Chris and Nico: Thank you for trying to help but I don't really need more boards and don't really even know what I want. Perhaps in another thread...
    never mind - new innovations will solve your problem within the next years..
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_3351.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	101.4 KB 
ID:	11453

I don't think the Kode and the hc wave even belong in the same test...
    /alex

lommavindsurfing.se

I actually rode the RRD HC Wave 88 and 98 the past two weeks in Cape Town and I wouldn't say they're early planers (for their size).

They seem to test totally random stuff against each other on the same criteria. The hardcore wave is a board for faster waves and side-shore winds and the kode is a board for "real world" or onshore windswell type conditions. At least in my opinion.

I think the windsurfermag-tests seem a little rushed.
    /alex

lommavindsurfing.se

Quote Originally Posted by chrispavlo View Post
    In memory of Mikey Clancy (IR-253):
    http://youtu.be/9F7Qxp4hY8s
    edit - width above 60cm, though:
    Length: 234 cm
    Width: 60.5 cm
    Volume: 86
    Funny how I seem to find my own threads when I search for good answers to good questions.

Really just wanted to (re)share the video.
    The infamous wavewriter